TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/news-talk/)
-   -   Sleep like a baby, get your priorities straight (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/news-talk/3062-sleep-baby-priorities.html)

lordsmurf 03-16-2006 04:53 AM

sleep like a baby, get your priorities straight

"Sleep like a baby" and "you need to get your priorities straight" are probably two of the dumbest sayings I've ever heard.

"Sleep like a baby." -- Who here wants to soil themselves in a diaper, and then cry for help because you cannot get up on your own? Or again, who wants to wake up to eat or drink something, and you have to cry for some help? Sleep like a baby? Hell no, I'll sleep like an adult, thank you very much!

"You need to get your priorities straight!" -- Is it just me, or are the only people who say this in denial that they're not very important? Or that what they think needs to be done is more important, and really isn't? Talk about some egotistical bullcrap. I had an experience many years ago in high school, where an algebra teacher said this to me, because I was late to his class, due to having to stay in the darkroom while I waited for the photos to wash (if you don't wash a photo thoroughly after fixer, they ruin). To this day, I've still never needed his crap algebra, yet I've had an Associated Press photo byline.

Just a random thought I had.

geekfemme 03-16-2006 07:42 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

"Sleep like a baby." -- Who here wants to soil themselves in a diaper, and then cry for help because you cannot get up on you own? Or again, who wants to wake up to eat or drink something, and you have to cry for some help? Sleep like a baby? Hell no, I'll sleep like an adult, thank you very much!
It should actually be "Sleep like a ***** on crack".

Betcha wouldn't wake then.

SavageAmusement 03-21-2006 06:04 PM

Well I never understood quite a few of those--

"don't let the bed bugs bite, right before bed. Brilliant.
Or "then the cradle will fall and down will come baby.

Yikes.

I think I am better off not sleeping like a baby.

Tcel93 03-22-2006 04:45 AM

Bed Bugs...LOL They just had a story on them on the news about hotels.....

SavageAmusement 03-23-2006 09:48 AM

Or

my favorite creepy one.. "if I shoudl DIE before I wake....
oh now that is a nice thought to put a kid to sleep weiht..

"Sure close your eyes little Billy I hope I see you in the morning...but you just never know.

Dr. Suess never tackled that one.

wigam 03-23-2006 10:13 AM

"ashes...ashes..we all fall down" never heard of it.

battle7 03-23-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

quote:"ashes...ashes..we all fall down" never heard of it.
Ring a-round the roses,
A pocket full of posies,
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down!

Alternates/History:

There are many different alternates to this rhyme; the rhyme above is the most modern version.

A more traditional version goes:

Ring-a-ring o' roses,
A pocket full of posies,
Achoo!, Achoo!
We all fall down.

This innocent sounding rhyme, first appearing in the 1881 book Mother Goose, is actually a much older chant that goes back to the 1660s and is thought to be about the Plague of London which killed 70,000 of the 460,000 residents. "Ring-a-ring o' roses" refers to the rosy colored rash one would get. An early symptom of the plague.

"Pocket full of posies" refers to the medicine and herbs people carried in their pockets to prevent the plague.

"Achoo! Achoo! We all fall down" are the last sneezes of the person and collapse of one who had died.

I have also heard reference to "ashes, ashes, we all fall down", as to the burning of the bodies as to prevent the spread of the disease.

cp32 03-23-2006 12:53 PM

There is one other version lol..

I ll censor ...

Run around the rosey.. Or I ll punch you in the nosey.

***.... *******

I ll knock you down.

there is a song called "We all fall down"- released by Blue Murder.
Completely different meaning. Just a title..

You ll always find something in anything. If you look hard enough.

All our childhood faerie tales were dark. Look at the time peroid they were written?

Honestly, what did the peasants have to be happy about [:u]? The 50 lashes , public hangings, Decapitations, plague, persecuted for religion, slavery, war, torture, or the oh so marvelous, starvation !

Gee, makes me all warm just typing about it [B)]... Considering the times.

I suppose using your imagination was all they had.

Diseny just made them cute.

lordsmurf 03-24-2006 03:39 PM

One of the very first Simpsons Shorts (it may have have been THE very first one, actually) was Marge singing Rock-a-bye-baby, and little Maggie got all freaked out, and you could see the images in her head, of her falling out of a tree and crashing to the ground.

wigam 03-25-2006 12:56 AM

lol.

We know it as "atischoo, atischoo" referring to the sneezing sound. Yes it is to do with bubonic plague.