TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sales-deals/)
-   -   PAL -> NTSC converter available (new price) (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sales-deals/5568-pal-ntsc-converter.html)

lordsmurf 02-28-2007 01:47 PM

PAL -> NTSC converter available (new price)

You plug a PAL VCR or DVD player/recorder into this device, via s-video or composite. Then you go from the device coax output to a capture card or VCR or NTSC DVD recorder. The coax output is NTSC! It converts pretty well, on-the-fly.

This is the Centrios DVD recorder, an easy way to make PAL or NTSC DVDs.

Not only does this thing convert PAL to NTSC, but it can record PAL DVDs too! Just record the incoming PAL signal with the Centrios DVD recorder, and it makes PAL DVDs.

Also works as a normal DVD recorder (NTSC input from tuner, etc).

This sort of equipment is pretty rare to come by. It works pretty decent, far better than even those $100-200 converter boxes (and those don't even record DVDs).

Asking $50 and shipping. Very cheap.

I still have the original box (no foam, will use packing peanuts/newpaper) and the manual. Remote too, of course.

I upgraded my method (something far more expensive), and no longer need this device.

I'll toss in a few DVD+RW discs as a bonus, to use with the recorder.

d.smyth 03-01-2007 05:14 AM

will it convert ntsc vhs to pal dvd

i have some ntsc vids i want to get onto dvd

lordsmurf 03-01-2007 07:16 AM

It does not play VHS.

JonathanEntertainment 03-01-2007 09:30 AM

Tempting what if the DVD player is multi region and will play the pal dvds will this thing convert it from the pal to a ntsc dvd?

lordsmurf 03-01-2007 04:53 PM

It will play PAL and NTSC,
it will record PAL off s-video and coax input,
it will output PAL from the coax.

I'm not fond of the unit's recording quality (similar to Cyberhome or Magnavox quality), but it's conversion passthrough, especially for the more tricky VHS tapes, is pretty impressive for the price. I was shocked, to be quite honest, that it did what it does.

Playing a PAL DVD and output to NTSC will probably work from the coax, like it does in passthrough. I cannot imagine it being different. It should work from the composite/s-video output too. I don't know about region-free, I'll have to plug it in and test.

I'm not aware of a region hack for playing R2/R4/etc PAL DVDs, but that is easy to solve. Copy your commercial disc. Rip it. That removes region protection. Your copy is region-free, no need to mess around with the machine. I tried my Kickboxer R2 disc, and it says "wrong region" on screen. I try my Voltron copies, and they are fine.

This is not a "watching" machine anyway. The fan is noisy. This is a "let me convert my video" machine, where you watch the final output on your favorite player.

lordsmurf 06-24-2007 04:00 PM

Now asking $50 for it.