Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

09-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Stats: 57 posts since Jun 2009
Caught a pair of recent articles on this behemoth announced by Panasonic this summer.
(Skip below articles for my analysis!)

from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10323515-1.html
Quote:
Large plasmas are coming down in price, but if you want to go big--and I mean really big--you still have to pay dearly. Set to hit next month, the $30,000 TH-85PF12U is billed by Panasonic as the industry's first 85-inch, full-HD, 1080p plasma. It's the size of four 42-inch plasmas stitched together. Panasonic says that thanks to its newly developed Neo plasma display panel technology, "even with effective wide-screen dimensions of 74.4 inches by 41.8 inches, the TH-85PF12U is significantly thinner and lighter than past plasmas, with a main body depth of 3.9 inches and an overall weight of approximately 260 pounds." Typically, extra-large plasmas just haven't cut it in terms of picture quality, but this model sounds--or rather, looks--more promising. Panasonic's NeoPDP technology has proven, at least in smaller Panasonic plasmas, to produce a great picture while using much less energy. As for the $30,000 price tag, all we can say is that if you're not a multimillionaire with cash to burn, wait a few years. You'll probably be able to pick this baby up for 15 grand soon enough.
and from http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/panasonics-85-i.php
Quote:
Sure, there have been much bigger displays, even a 150-inch monster, but not at such a respectable 85-inch size or relatively cheap $30,000 price. Of course, that's way out of reach for most of us, but we can remember 10 years ago when a 42-inch 720p monitor cost $30,000, so let the past be prologue — affordable huge screens like this can't be far behind. This model TH-85PF12U brings the kind of specs you'd expect, rocking the 1080p at a depth of 3.9 inches. Make sure you get a hefty couple of buddies to help you schlep this thing into your home theater because it weighs 260 pounds. And you'll have to have a space that's 74 inches wide to accommodate it. But just look at it — it's the perfect-sized TV. Now wait a couple of years for the perfect price to match.
Given how the ideal distance for viewing on a 55" screen is about 10 feet, I would imagine you'll need to sit about 20+ feet away from the set, to view it without needing to bob your head back and forth.

It's sort of funny how "tech fanboy" type sites (CNET, DVICE) are the ones reporting on this, but I'll bet corporations, organizations (churches, sports) and educational facilities (schools, colleges) are the real target audience for such a monster display.

I can't imagine a lot of homes having 20-foot viewing length rooms. Even if the price was $3k (a tenth of the asking price), would you really want it? How DVICE can call this the "perfect sized" television is beyond me. I have a hard time convincing people that 42" is not "big enough" (50-60 is best size for most living rooms), so how this DVICE writer expects a person to buy something double sized is beyond me. Sorry fella, that's just stupid talk.

I also question the economics of "it came down in price last time, and it will again". Sorry, that's not how it always works. Premium items always carry premium mark-ups. You won't find 85" sets in Walmart anytime soon.
  09-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
go one better...

DLA-RS4000 Reference Series 4K home cinema projector.
Based on the same projection engine used in advanced simulation systems, it provides the superior imagery as well as installation flexibility required by uncompromising home theater consumers. This system is ISF and THX* certified.

Three newly developed ultra high definition 4K2K D-ILA devices allow the DLA-RS4000 to deliver a 10 megapixel image with a native resolution of 4,096 x 2,400—more than four times the resolution of HD. Up to four screens with full HD or WUXGA resolution images can be displayed simultaneously .

A new optical design provides 3500 ANSI lumens from a Xenon lamp and delivers excellent color rendering. Lamp power can be adjusted in eight steps for the ideal brightness for a variety of home theater settings and screen sizes. In addition, new Wire Grid polarizers in the optical engine that minimize light leakage are combined with new liquid crystal technology and a novel liquid crystal orientation to significantly reduce off-state light, resulting in a 10,000:1 native contrast ratio.

"The DLA-RS4000 4K projector is the ultimate projector for discerning home theater enthusiasts," said Jack Faiman, vice president, Visual Systems Division, JVC U.S.A.. "Not only does it produce amazing images for movies, sports, and video games, but its smaller footprint and incredible flexibility make it the ideal premium home theater projector for custom installations. Plus, despite all its high-end features, its user-friendly interface makes it easy to sit back and enjoy the view."

a snip at a mere $175K.
available from 29th october.

i'm going to get 2.
one to project movies, the other to project games.
can use both simultaneously as my garage houses my private learjet!
  09-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
2 for only 350,000

why not got with 3 just for the hell of it?
  09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Reminds me of an old CPS member that insisted $30k was "rich". Acted like it was more than enough to buy a mansion and a yacht. Lot of old jokes, back in the day, from that chat conversation.