Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 684 posts since Apr 2007
From tvshowsondvd.com:
Quote:
The first-ever DVD release of Jim Henson’s DOG CITY THE MOVIE will have you howling with laughter! DOG CITY: THE MOVIE is an Emmy award-winning Jim Henson’s Comedy Classic. Directed by Jim Henson, this parody of the film noir gangster films takes us through the busy but dangerous town of Dog City, teeming with colorful Muppet Dog characters. Rowlf the dog is your guide through the underside of canine life during the 1930s in Dog City.

Our hero, Ace, enters the world of bulldog gangsters and terrier molls when he inherits a saloon, “The Doghouse,” from his late Uncle Harry. Unwilling to pay protection money, Ace finds himself the target of Bugsy, a bulldog bully who owns most of Dog City, and also happens to be one of the foremost proponents of senseless violence. Ace also comes nose to nose with a beautiful runaway collie named Colleen. Colleen and Ace team up to take on Bugsy and his thugs in the tumultuous, dog-eat-dog world of Dog City.

As we've reported, April 13th sees the DVD release of Song of the Cloud Forest, a Jim Henson Company special which began life as an installment of the 1989 program The Jim Henson Hour. Now another installment of that series is coming to DVD, and it's none other than Dog City - The Movie. This 40-minute story from the fourth episode of The Jim Henson Hour, broadcast on NBC during the first week of May, 1989, became the "pilot" for the 1992-95 Fox series Dog City.

In the 1989 production now referred to as Dog City - The Movie, the main canine is Ace Yu, voiced by Kevin Clash (best known as "Elmo" on Sesame Street), while both Ace's nemesis Bugsy Them along with Rowlf (of The Muppet Show) were voiced by Jim Henson himself. This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing in a Variety or Music Program.

Lionsgate Entertainment will release Dog City - The Movie on DVD this coming June 8th, a single-disc release that includes the 40-minute show plus bonus material like a Behind-the-Scenes Gallery, Original Concept Art, "and more!" Video is full screen, audio is English 2.0 Dolby, and it is closed captioned. Cost is just $14.98 SRP. Here's the packaging for this fun family release:

source: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dog...he-Movie/13463
Great artwork!

I will be picking this one up

Trailer:

Last edited by MuppetDanny; 03-15-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added video
  03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 862 posts since Jun 2005
i saw on amazon.com future releases that the jim henson special about rainforest with the tree frog is coming out soon to right?
  03-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
That's funny - I'd never heard of Dog City before.
  06-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
why is my post deleted again .. Starting to tick me off now
  07-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I never heard of it either.