Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

05-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

The Power Rangers have come home.

Haim Saban's newly formed Saban Brands company has re-acquired from Disney the rights to the "Power Rangers" franchise that built Saban's fortune in the mid-1990s. Saban has cut a deal with Nickelodeon for 20 new "Power Rangers" episodes, while the library of some 700 older segs will begin airing on cabler Nicktoons later this year.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but it's likely that the property commanded a price tag in the nine-figure range. At the time Disney acquired "Power Rangers" along with its acquisition of Fox Family Worldwide in 2001, the franchise had grossed an astounding $5 billion in retail sales alone.

Saban Brands prexy Elie Dekel said Haim Saban approached Disney about retrieving the Power Rangers franchise more than six months ago because he was convinced it had potential for a strong revival. Disney has maintained some "Power Rangers" merchandise licensing and has had episodes of the show airing in foreign markets. But the property clearly hasn't been a priority for the Mouse.

Dekel sees great promise in introducing the Power Rangers -- revolving around a group of ordinary youths who can "morph" into superheroes -- to a new generation of kids through the TV series, live touring events and feature films, among other efforts.

"Haim has always felt that the brand could truly be evergreen, and while Disney continued to produce the series and support consumer products part of the business, we still see tremendous untapped potential," Dekel said.

Dekel is very familiar with the property, having been a Saban Entertainment exec at the time it took off. Haim Saban developed the concept after being impressed by similar live-action kidvid fare he saw in Japan. He cut a deal in the late 1980s with Toei Film to develop his own spin on the genre. He pitched it to U.S. outlets for years but didn't get any takers until Fox's fledgling Fox Kids kidvid block picked it up. "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," as the show was known in its first two seasons, was an overnight sensation after it bowed on Fox Kids in 1993.

A few years later, Saban and Fox later created a joint kidvid venture, Fox Family Worldwide, that incorporated the Power Rangers and acquired the Family Channel. Disney bought Fox Family Worldwide in 2001 and turned the cabler into ABC Family Channel.
  05-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Knight of Toonplar

Stats: 1,516 posts since Jun 2005
Yepper!! lol we will see what Saban brings to the table so many years later... wonder if it will be a revamp or procced with the shinkenger and what not..
  05-17-2010, 04:14 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Wow. That's very interesting
  05-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
"prexy" = slang for president of the company. That's so weird (and somewhat stupid) to use random slang in a news article. I think that's worse than using "dis" (ebonics slang for "insult", a bastardized variation of "disrespect")

Sorry, random rant.

Go Go Power Rangers? As much as I thought this was the worst thing on TV in the 1990s, it's easily one of the least worst shows that could be shown today.

I miss Fox Kids and Kids WB.
  05-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

I miss Fox Kids and Kids WB.
I do too.
  05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
This is great news! Disney didn't seem to care as much about Power Rangers. From what I heard, they didn't advertise RPM a lot and that may be part of the reason that they ended Power Rangers after RPM if not enough people were watching it. I'm excited to see what Saban will do with the franchise.
  05-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Verified Member

Hopefully they'll do something cool.