Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

05-31-2010, 09:06 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 89 posts since Aug 2007
LS, I took your advice (although I'll be damned if I can find the thread here!) and bought a boat load of the good Verbatim blank (white, ink-jet printables, for me...) DVD-Rs, both at Sam's Club (600) and through Super Media Store (400), which should last a while! Sam's had them marked down from $28/per hundred to about $21/100, which tells me that they're trying to get rid of the last of their inventory, but the price was nice. Anyway, thanks very much for the heads up. Over my 6 1/2 hours of DVD making, I have to say that Verbatim has been very dependable in their DVD-R quality. I KNOW that, if they were substandard, I would have heard lots of complaints from my Night Flight customers, but their problems are few and far between.
I think it's so weird that Verbatim's inkjet printable CDs are availalble only in the silver surface. They print OK, but nothing like the white surface. Bizarrely enough, Verbatim makes a white surface CD-R, but they're only for Sharpie-type markers!! In fact, some MicroCenter "person" assured me that these discs were ink-jet printable, when they weren't. The only brand of white, inkjet-printable CD-Rs I've been able to find locally are 50-packs of Philips, which are fine, but cost a little more ($9/50, or 18c a piece), but they print so well!
Sorry for mixing subject. I will pay my penance by watching 20 episodes of American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance simultaneously! (not really...)
  05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The thread you're looking for was in the VIDEO TECH area: http://www.tvpreservation.com/forum/...vds-10609.html

<insert obligatory age joke here>

OfficeMax had a $5 OFF coupon for a few days last month, when the 100-packs were $21.99 on sale, so I bought what they had left for $16.99 plus tax (8.25%). That doesn't include all the discs I got from Supermediastore and Amazon, either!

I'm set for a while now, between personal and hobby projects, as well as work needs.

Anybody wanting Mitsubishi DVD-R / DVD+R branded by Verbatim should get some now, before they are all gone from stores, both online and offline. It's being replaced by low-grade crap, the "Life Series" and "Value Series" media from CMC and Ritek. Barf. No thanks, I want my burns to work without problems.
  07-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Stats: 57 posts since Jun 2009
The problem is growing, according to grumbling I'm seeing in various online forums.
If you like Verbatim, buy yourself a nice stock of discs now.

There's a whole list of deals at: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
  08-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
This so blows!!