Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

08-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
Anybody know of a good TV app to watch live television for free on their IPhone/IPod Touch?

I have TVUPlayer which is ok but I'm wondering if there's something better out there
  08-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
What about the TV.com or Net TV apps?
  08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
jailbreak it then all apps are free
  08-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I tried the free version of TVUPlayer for a little while on my iPod but it's mostly international stations. There aren't very many American stations on it. I also tried SPB TV but it's the same with that one. The video was choppy on both apps and not worth watching. The only thing I could find that I wanted to watch was an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. I gave up looking for a live television app. I watch enough TV already. I don't need an app to watch TV on my iPod. TV.com isn't live TV. It's just a bunch of videos.
  08-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
jailbreak it then all apps are free
oh I jailbroke it the day I got it

About he quality, doesn't really concern me .... I'm just happy to have access to ESPN (which is available on TVU Player) when I'm on the road and want to take a peek at a game for a couple of minutes. I also found ABC, CBS, and FOX feeds on there that will come in handy on Sundays for Football when I'm away. But you're right, this is heavy on the International stations.

Apparently there's a good app available for UK users ONLY wanting to watch local TV ... can't remember the name but I saw it yesterday when I was doing my research.

Net TV again is heavy on the international stations ..... not much selection for North America.
  08-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigk181 View Post
I tried the free version of TVUPlayer for a little while on my iPod but it's mostly international stations. There aren't very many American stations on it. I also tried SPB TV but it's the same with that one. The video was choppy on both apps and not worth watching. The only thing I could find that I wanted to watch was an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. I gave up looking for a live television app. I watch enough TV already. I don't need an app to watch TV on my iPod. TV.com isn't live TV. It's just a bunch of videos.

Surprised to hear you said the video was choppy. I was going to ask if you were on 3G or Wi-fi but I saw you wrote you were using your IPOD so you must have been on Wi-Fi ..... Using Wi-Fi myself I found the video smooth and stable after the initial buffering.

On 3G it would give out here and there and become choppy like you said.
  08-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I use Wi-Fi on my iPod but I've only used TVUPlayer and SPB TV at home. I've never tried them on a Wi-Fi connection somewhere else. The audio wouldn't be choppy but the video would play for about 5 seconds and then freeze for about 5 seconds. It would do this constantly. I didn't find much on them that I would want to watch anyway, so it's not worth it for me.