Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

10-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, we had a house fire and it is a total loss. i had alot of video equipment, tvs, vcrs, audio equipment, as well as computer equipment. all of this has soot and smoke damage. i have had some people say they would try to use it again, others say that is may have internal damage even though it doesn't have any outside cosmetic damage. i know LS and others are more equipment sauve that i am, so i thought i would ask ya'lls opinion. please let me know what you think. thanks stoogedog
  10-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
did you have your internal contents insured? If so, I would update and replace what you used most.
  10-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I would simply have the equipment professionally cleaned. That's cheaper than new gear, assuming it's another of high quality (JVC S-VHS VCRs, good DVD recorders, etc).

The computer gear you can probably clean yourself. Dismantle it, use a brush. Optical drives should all be replaced unless they are sealed when closed, and were closed at the time of the fire.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

How has your DVD collection faired? I know you have quite a list of goodies that you had collected through the years. I believe I have a few rarer items from you, and could always send back some copies if needed, in time.
  10-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, thanks for the info. yes we had personal contents insurance, but it will in no way cover everything we lost. i think i will see about replacing what i lost instead of cleaning it, especially if i need to do it myself. most of my dvd collection maybe alright just in need of cleaning, but my vhs collection is almost completely gone. thanks stoogedog