Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

10-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
never thought I would see this one. Another highly booted set we can retire (and now with extra footage)
http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/14525

Quote:
After the classic live-action late-'60s Batman series went off the air, stars Adam West and Burt Ward were still highly recognizable as the Dynamic Duo. One appearance they made together as Batman and Robin came in 1979, at the height of the popularity of the Saturday morning cartoon series Super Friends (which began in 1973, and had a dozen-year run in various incarnations...most noticeably the late-'70s version Challenge of the Super Friends). In 1979, Hanna-Barbera capitalized on the fans of both shows with a 2-episode prime time live-action special titled "Legends of the Super-Heroes", which aired on NBC that January.

The first episode was titled "The Challenge", and the second part was titled "The Roast". Besides West and Ward, Frank Gorshin also returned from Batman in his legendary role as The Riddler. Other classic DC Comics heroes and villains also were in the production, including many that were known primarily at the time for their Super Friends appearances. The bad guys on the Legion of Doom included Sinestro (Charlie Callas), Giganta, Solomon Grundy, The Weather Wizard (Jeff Altman), Doctor Sivana (Howard Morris), Aunt Minerva (Ruth Buzzi), and Mordru the Merciless. Joining the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder on the Justice League were Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkman, Black Canary, The Atom (Alfie Wise), The Huntress, Captain Marvel and a new hero: Ghetto Man. Also appearing was William Schallert (The Patty Duke Show) as "Scarlet Cyclone" (a.k.a., "Retired Man"). Hosting the second episode, "The Roast", is none other than Ed McMahon (The Tonight Show, Star Search)! You'll also hear the voice of Narrator Gary Owens (Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in) and briefly see a pre-Night Court Marsha Warfield in an uncredited bit part. June Gable, best known as Joey's agent "Estelle" on Friends, appears as gossip reporter "Rhoda Rooter", and Pat Carroll (Make Room for Daddy, Too Close for Comfort, She's the Sheriff) appears as "Hawkman's mother".

Warner Brothers has announced today at the New York Comic Con that this rarely-seen production will come to DVD exclusively through their WBshop.com online store's manufacture-on-demand (MOD) program. Available starting October 19th, the cost will be $19.95 for a 100-minute disc. You can pre-order Legends of the Super-Heroes right away, and lock in a copy of this DVD for your collection. Be aware, though, that as usual this MOD title will only be available to ship to U.S. destinations (we don't have any of the details, but we are given to understand that this is due to legal reasons, rather than any studio limitations). Package art isn't available yet, but here's the studio's description of the release:

Heroes and villains of DC Comics square off in the two-part, live-action, made-for-TV (with a laugh track!) smackdowns of Legends of the Super Heroes. The Challenge: Batman and Robin (Adam West and Burt Ward of the live-action Batman TV series) lead The Flash, Green Lantern and more JLA members against The Riddler (Frank Gorshin reprising his TV role), Mordru, Weather Wizard and other Doom-dealers. The Legion's ultimate gambit: trick the heroes into downing a diabolical depowering drink! The Roast: Poking fun beats swapping punches when celebrity host Ed McMahon emcees a rowdy rave-up. Who knew DC Super Heroes and villains packed as much verbal wit as physical grit when not locked in mortal combat? These Legends will leave you laughing.

UPDATE (10/9): In a trio of "tweets" (Twitter posts) made yesterday evening, it was revealed by the folks at @WarnerArchive that their upcoming Legends of the Super-Heroes DVD release will include "unseen footage". After noting that the New York Comic Com was the ideal place to "drop the bomb" about their releasing this title, they revealed that it would have the unseen footage, immediately joking about "whether the footage deserves to be seen is another matter" (this production has always been ribbed for it's cheesiness factor), and then went on to say that "we almost literally dug the original 2" video masters out of the salt cave in Kansas, mislabeled and forgotten. + we found cans of outtakes". WOW! So those outtakes apparently became the source of the extra footage included on this DVD. Great to know, so we wanted to pass it along to all of you.
  10-14-2010, 06:11 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 716 posts since Aug 2007
I just ordered my copy.
  10-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Whoa! That came out of nowhere.
  10-28-2010, 06:59 AM

Verified Member

It just arrived!
  10-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickle1 View Post
It just arrived!
How is it?
  10-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Verified Member

The video and audio are of good quality. The dvd artwork is awful. The shot of Batman & Robin on the front is grainy and out of focus. The menus are pretty basic - about what I expected.

The show itself is pretty awful television. I'd only recommend this for the devout collector.
  10-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 612 posts since Jun 2005
Awful TV is right, but Batman fans will want it.
  10-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Verified Member

worth buying when i have more funds!
  11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
The Warner Archive releases are MOD, and while there is some remastering, the releases are very basic. But apparently the program is going well, because they've got a lot of material in the pipeline, and they're very open to suggestions from fans. If you're on Facebook, it's worth "liking" their page, just to keep up with stuff they're planning. I've been happy with the '70s SF telefilms that have been released, and it looks like more of the stuff I want may be showing up soon, as well. I'm going to wait until the occasional discounts apply to the Legend disc, but I definitely plan to add it to my collection soon.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  11-16-2010, 08:57 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwalsh View Post
The Warner Archive releases are MOD, and while there is some remastering, the releases are very basic. But apparently the program is going well, because they've got a lot of material in the pipeline, and they're very open to suggestions from fans. If you're on Facebook, it's worth "liking" their page, just to keep up with stuff they're planning. I've been happy with the '70s SF telefilms that have been released, and it looks like more of the stuff I want may be showing up soon, as well. I'm going to wait until the occasional discounts apply to the Legend disc, but I definitely plan to add it to my collection soon.
too bad you are not on their email list (you can subscribe to that after you buy something, though I am pretty sure the option is on the website alone). You just missed a 30% off literally everything in the archive due to Veterans day
  11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Nope, on their mailing list, got everything 30% off, with the exception of new releases - which included Legend of the Superheroes. But I ended up buying it anyway, since I also got free shipping.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  11-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwalsh View Post
Nope, on their mailing list, got everything 30% off, with the exception of new releases - which included Legend of the Superheroes. But I ended up buying it anyway, since I also got free shipping.
that is very odd because I bought boh that and the green slime with the 30-% off applied
  12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 684 posts since Apr 2007
Just found a hi-res still of the film if anyone wants to make a DVD cover art - have fun

SAMPLE:
Name:  lotsh_still_small.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  38.8 KB

DOWNLOAD ZIP:
lotsh_still.zip