Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

10-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 18 posts since Oct 2006
A few months ago, I brought up the idea of backing up my collection to external hard drives as ISO Image files. I began doing this not too long ago and am very happy with the result so far. However, I first encountered one dvd set of mine (12 DVDs) which my computer wouldn't recognize. I put the DVD in the drive and it wouldn't acknowledge that anything was even there. I then proceeded to try it in just about every player I have. Nothing. I put it aside and moved on, I then encountered more of the same issues with individual discs which are burned on this exact same type of media (Ridata 8X DVD-R). From this point on, I realized that it has to be the media. The best I was able to do was to get one computer to recognize the disc but not play it. I am truly stumped, I don't think that all of these discs could have gone bad. They have been stored in excellent conditions with many other discs. Any ideas? Any players, decoders, etc which might yield better results?

Thanks for the help.
  10-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
are you sure its just simply not a bad rom? Maybe your burner is not compatible with Ritdata. Thats possible? Reinstall image burn or whatever program you use to do the ISO files with on your HD. If none of your players are picking up the discs. You may have some bad burns. Here's and Idea ....Install alcohol 120 - mount the image - see if you can access it that way. If you can then you know its bad batch of media. I ve got 100 pck of bad media before from officemax of verbatims- believe it or not. They had to give me another pack. I went through 20 discs before I got one good burn. It happens.
  10-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrade View Post
I don't think that all of these discs could have gone bad.
Discs do not magically "go bad" as is a popular myth perpetuated online. The discs were either always bad, or you've simply run into a DVD drive/player/recorder/whatever that cannot read the media very well. Ritek media is infamous for being a hard-to-read disc, and it's one reason those discs rank so poorly amongst DVD media tests. (For example, the DVD media rankings at digitalFAQ.com.)

Your best bet is to try to rip/read (make an ISO of) the disc in DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn and/or ISO Puzzle. And you'll need to use a really good DVD burner drive, such as a Pioneer or BTC. Most drives are terrible readers, such as LG or LiteOn. If you don't have such a drive, and cannot get one, then you may need to seek out the help of somebody who does.

More on that at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/foru...-media-19.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp32 View Post
Here's and Idea ....Install alcohol 120 - mount the image - see if you can access it that way.
I don't see how that would accomplish anything. That's software, and the error is completely hardware based -- a disc/drive issue.

Quote:
If you can then you know its bad batch of media. I ve got 100 pck of bad media before from officemax of verbatims- believe it or not. They had to give me another pack. I went through 20 discs before I got one good burn. It happens.
"Bad batch" is a myth, as found discussed online. A batch of discs is many, many, many thousands of discs, not a spindle. If one spindle was bad, then the entire pallet would have been bad. That rarely happens, and it's generally caught well before it hits retail. If and when it does hit retail, discs are generally recalled (assuming it's a reputable manufacturer, like Mitsubishi/Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden).

Your issues are likely related to any number of more viable and scientifically sound reasons. The whole "bad batch" reasoning is a knee-jerk science-less explanation that's about on par with any other superstition.

Good luck!
  10-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Verified Member

Yeah, I was convinced that the discs were the same today as they were a few years ago...and I have watched them, surface scaned them, etc before. It sounds like my best bet is to order a Pioneer drive and see what happens next. This might be a little off topic, but does the computer itself have any impact in the actual disc being played? Is the player/burner doing all of the work and the computer is simply displaying it, or is the computer helping to read data?

Hopefully this will fix it, if not I'll be back for some more help

Thanks
  10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The computer just processes the 1's and 0's being read by the laser in the burner. If the burner isn't picking up the data, then there's nothing for the computer to read. So the bottleneck for disc reading issues will always lie with the drive hardware and the disc itself.

If your disc was not stored well, it may have damaged by invisible errors -- warping, micro-abrasions and/or micro-scratches. Visible errors include scratches and scuffs, but I'll assume you would have mentioned those. Wallets and certain cheap "recycled material" DVD cases are known to cause warping, and then any storage method that involves a disc being slid against a surface can cause the scratches and abrasions. Remember that a DVD laser is only a few nanometers thick, so even a tiny scratches not seen by the naked eye could case readability issues.

I think a new Pioneer drive is in your best interests, yes.

Where are you, again? I may have some suggestions on the best place to buy a new drive.
  10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Gramma of CPS

maybe from your stand point. It happens in this area all the time.
They don't care about recalls They just refund your money for the spindle for exchange it for another of equal value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Discs do not magically "go bad" as is a popular myth perpetuated online. The discs were either always bad, or you've simply run into a DVD drive/player/recorder/whatever that cannot read the media very well. Ritek media is infamous for being a hard-to-read disc, and it's one reason those discs rank so poorly amongst DVD media tests. (For example, the DVD media rankings at digitalFAQ.com.)

Your best bet is to try to rip/read (make an ISO of) the disc in DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn and/or ISO Puzzle. And you'll need to use a really good DVD burner drive, such as a Pioneer or BTC. Most drives are terrible readers, such as LG or LiteOn. If you don't have such a drive, and cannot get one, then you may need to seek out the help of somebody who does.

I don't see how that would accomplish anything. That's software, and the error is completely hardware based -- a disc/drive issue.

"Bad batch" is a myth, as found discussed online. A batch of discs is many, many, many thousands of discs, not a spindle. If one spindle was bad, then the entire pallet would have been bad. That rarely happens, and it's generally caught well before it hits retail. If and when it does hit retail, discs are generally recalled (assuming it's a reputable manufacturer, like Mitsubishi/Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden).

Your issues are likely related to any number of more viable and scientifically sound reasons. The whole "bad batch" reasoning is a knee-jerk science-less explanation that's about on par with any other superstition.

Good luck!
  10-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Gramma of CPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Good luck!
Well The alcohol suggestion came from personal experience.
When all else failed. I was able to get the data I needed to reburn to different media by mounting- able to view through that software when the disc was unable through typical windows - It would view through alcohol 120 after mounting. It worked thats all I cared about ISO buster works well too
  10-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Verified Member

LS,

The discs were stored in pretty good conditions. Well, at least the others stored with them seem to work, so I think that rules out physical damage. I asked the computer question as I recalled them playing years ago with my Windows Xp HP Pavillion laptop. In the last few weeks, I have tried to play them with a Plextor external, a Memorex external, and a Sony Blu Ray internal. I am located in Los Angeles...any suggestions?
I usually check Fry's electronics.
  10-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
can I ask a stupid question, did whatever program you use to burn the iso finalize and close the disc? Normally it sounds like you are dealing with unfinalized dvds, but since you were burning them as iso it should have closed the disc

try this, download isobuster http://www.isobuster.com/ and then with that installed see if it can read the disc in the drive. It should also tell you if the disc was properly closed or not