02-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 716 posts since Aug 2007
I have an mkv file that has video, 1 audio track and 1 subtitle track. I'd like to put it on dvd with the subtitles showing all the time. Is there an easy way to do this? All the "how to" articles I've found are ridiculously complicated. Is there software that will take all three tracks and convert them to a single mpg or avi?
  02-05-2011, 03:48 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
the best thing to do is use mkvextract gui and get the subtitle track out of it and then add that to the dvd authoring program before you put it to dvd. then to convert the mkv to dvd mpeg use FAVC. you can also use ConvertXtoDVD but i think it doesnt do that great of a job. What is the exact file that you are trying to convert? Tell me the name through here or PM and ill get it and than make a tutorial with pictures how to get it to dvd with subtitles in the best quality you will get.

is it an hD mkv file? h264?
  02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Embedding the subtitles is what makes the guides complicated.

I'm in a similar situation, because the videos I wanted converted have three separate simultaneous subs at any given time, and I want those to ALL be shown on screen, which can't be done with standard subs for DVDs. Hence the need to embed as video.

I've had to give up for now, due to lack of time.
  02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
want it to be hardcoded or softcoded?
  02-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Verified Member

I'd be fine if they are always visible. The audio is in Japanese so I'll never watch it without the subs.

I believe the source is h264, whatever that means.
  02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Verified Member

i was having stupid issues with my computer and the h264 codec and encoding it the right way. i fixed it now though and i am encoding everything and making the subs always there. once it gets done i will upload the file and u can download it and see if it comes out ok. what i will actually do is just make a 1min sample of the actual mpeg using mpeg vcr so there is no compression to show how it will look with the subtitles. if you are happy with it i will give you a break down of what i did and give u links to all the programs i used.
  02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Verified Member

o ya also what version of windows are you currently on?
  02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Verified Member

ok here u go. if u ask me it looks pretty damn good. i actually wanna get a dvd set of this myself.

it takes about 30min to encode at best settings per episode. thats the only way to do it if you ask me. but you will need a good computer. if you dont feel like doing it. i can do it in like a day or two all the episodes and put it to dvd for you. it might make it faster. will still let you know what i did though if you are happy enough with the results

http://www.mediafire.com/?yrh65panqykq8sq
  02-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Verified Member

Its perfect. That's exactly what I wanted.

If you don't mind walking me through it I'd really appreciate it. I'll make you a copy of the finished product as a thank you.

I'm still on XP.
  02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Verified Member

cool im on xp too.
  02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Verified Member

also another thing i need to know what program are you going to be authoring these on? depending which there might be a few more steps
  02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Verified Member

TPMGEnc DVD Author, unless you have a better suggestion.
  02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Verified Member

naw that dont matter. just curious. i will make the guide tomorrow for you i am about to head to class right now.
  12-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Verified Member

Help!

I now have windows 7 and the FAVC program you showed me how to use crashes as soon as I hit "generate".

I'm just rying to convert some mkv files to mpeg so that I can put them on DVD. I don't want any subtitles and they have english audio. Am I missing something or do I need a different version of the FAVC program?

Also, I've lost my copy of TPMGEnc DVD Author in the tornado. Can anyone point me toward a source for a new one?
  12-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Verified Member

need to change corflags for it to work on windows 7 im guessing 64bit? took me forever to figure it out

u need like visual studio or something that has corflags to do this

make sure u also download the 64bit version as well of FAVC first

then do this

Running FAVC on Windows 7

First Install Visual Studio 2010
Install Full Package
Once Installed go to Start Menu/Programs/Visual Studio 10/Visual Studio Tools/
Open the Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) (Right Click Run as Admimistrator Windows 7)

Once you have that open you need to navigate to the FAVC Folder (Example C:\Users\konfusion\Downloads\FAVC_107_x64)

When you get to the folder type this
corflags.exe favc.exe /32bit+

will work after
  12-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Verified Member

ok - I downloaded the 64 bit version of FAVC and I installed Visual Studio 2010, but that's where you lose me. Can you dumb down the rest of those instructions? Also, am I supposed to extract the FAVC program before I do this?
  01-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Verified Member

Nevermind - I think I got it working. Thanks for the all of your help.
  01-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Verified Member

Well, I thought I had everything working, but when I use FAVC the resulting file has the video playing normally but the audio seems to be playing on fast forward. Its really strange and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I really miss my old computer. It was slower but everything worked.
  03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
The best and easiest way to convert those files is using a program called AVS.
Way easy and very user friendly.
You can download it here from my mediafire account.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sg4ltbg9n8x7u6c
  03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Verified Member

2 options

1 in the ac3 settings on favc in the audio tab click retain if present under ac3 audio

2 use mkvextractgui and use the audio file in the mkv container On the final DVD.