Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
is the "Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection" the best collection to get?

best video + audio?
are these uncut?

i've read that some versions of these had mistakes/errors.
but also that WB re-issued corrections.

plus, Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat are missing in the USA versions.
but are available in the european classics collection.

does the USA version of Touché, Pussy Cat! have the stereo mix Tuffy singing "Frère Jacques"? apparently only the mono mix has it.

is "His Mouse Friday" the cut version?

so, are these the only issues, or are there more?
is there a site with a comprehensive breakdown of errors?

finally, has anyone got the complete T&J spotlight sets?
  04-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
I don't have this but they are probably the best retail sets out there. According to wikipedia.org , both the us and the uk versions have problems. I guess some episodes were cut or altered too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_jerry

I have an old Chinese 6 dvd import set but still haven't verified how many episodes are in it. This set probably isn't the best quality since it is on less discs but I think the episodes might be uncut and uncensored. I might make a set in the future with these episodes since the menu is in Chinese and is so confusing.
  04-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Verified Member

ta for your reply D17.
that was a helpful link.

LS - your T&J set - is it the same as what's on offer in the T&J Spotlight Collection?
  04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I have the 6-disc Chinese set. Quality is good (unrestored, but still good), and 99% uncut. Original audio, including Mammy with her 1940s southern Black dialect -- not the new Oprah sound-alike (yuck!). It has all 92 MGM shorts. It was released almost 10 years ago. There are still a few missing scenes, but those have been missing since at least the 1970s. I have a full breakdown of edits somewhere. I know Aaron Handy III, huge T&J fan, wrote a page about it some years ago. Not sure if it's still online. (He still has stuff online, but don't think this exact piece is anywhere anymore.)

WB screwed up the Spotlight discs. Some were fixed, some not. The only real benefit of those sets is that the original widescreen is there for some episodes. Just a few, actually -- bonuses. I have at least 1-2 of the sets for this reason, received as gifts.

The 10-disc Japanese set is edited, censored, Oprah voice, but includes the post-MGM shorts by Chuck Jones. This is at least 8 years old.

There's a separate set for the Deitch episodes, that was sold in Europe. My set came from Poland about 6 years ago. These are uncut, and look restored from what I recall.
  04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Verified Member

here's a link to all the T&J episodes.
  04-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Verified Member

so LS, when you get a chance, could you please post a list of what you have, if anything has been cut/edited, whether you need episodes to complete your set etc.

i would like to put together the best possible T&J set available.

cheers
  04-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Verified Member

It looks like the Chinese set lordsmurf and I have is missing 22 episodes. Wikipedia says that there were 114 MGM episodes.

I have these if you need them but they are Homebrew and from recent tv airings.

Tom and Jerry: Chuck Jones Series (1963-1967) (3 DVD’s) 8.5/10
Tom and Jerry: Gene Deitch Series (1961-1962) (1 DVD) 8.5-9/10

I would be great to see just one set of the MGM cartoons and have the Chuck Jones and Gene Deitch sets seperate since the cartoons are so different.
  04-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Verified Member

is this the menu for the 6 disc chinese t&j set?

if so, i think i'll try and clean it up a little.

LS, which sets of the T&J Spotlights have you got?

i can try and get the others and perhaps we can colaborate together for a "best possible" T&J set?
  04-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Verified Member

DJ17 - your homebrew sets - are these the only ones available? ie no retail releases?
  04-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Verified Member

i know this is a technical question and belongs in another thread, but i ask for your indulgence this one time!

the T&J set i have. it has "combing" effects.

as i'm trying to clean up the image, i thought i'd get rid of this as well.

so the question to you is what is the best method to do this?

i have tmpgenc xpress.

these are the options:

Deinterlace mode
Sets the deinterlace filter operation mode.

No deinterlace
============================
Do not perform any deinterlacing operations. When an interlaced clip is used, disabling the deinterlace while making an output in progressive mode may give unexpected results.

Deinterlace only when necessary
Automatically deinterlaces according to the output settings. When performing a deinterlace, this uses the method set by the Deinterlace method: setting.

Deinterlace always
Deinterlaces whatever the output settings. When the output is set to interlaced, the clip is deinterlaced once then interlaced.

Deinterlace always (Double framerate)
Deconstructs 29.97 or 25 fps clip fields and processes them to 59.94 or 50 fps.

24 fps (Special animation)
Reduces the clip’s framerate from 29.97 or 50 fps to 23.976 or 25 fps by using a method that prioritizes the removing the interlace stripes.

24 fps (Prioritize motion)
Reduces the clip’s framerate from 29.97 or 50 fps to 23.976 or 25 fps by using a method prioritizing the clip’s motion

Deinterlace field
Set the base field used to deinterlace and interpolate the progressive picture. Choose the most suitable base field by visually comparing the two option results.

Deinterlace by top field
Deinterlaces by using the top field as the base.

Deinterlace by bottom field
Deinterlaces by using the bottom field as the base.

Deinterlace method
Sets the deinterlace method.

Interpolation - simple
Displays the average value of the top and bottom field.

Replication - simple
Displays a shade off of the top and bottom fields. This makes the image blurry and leaves an afterimage in moving parts.

Interpolation - adjusted
Interpolates the interlace stripes by referring to the previous and following images of the clip.

Interpolation - animation
Interpolates the interlace stripes by referring to the previous and following images of the clip and searches for the parts where interlacing appears.

Interpolation - animation 2
Interpolates the interlace stripes by referring to the previous and following images of the clip and searches more thoroughly for the parts where interlacing appears. Because of the analysis method, opposite interlace stripes may be missed.

Replication - animation
Researches the interlace stripes and duplicates them by referring to the previous and following images.

Inverse pulldown
Refers to the previous and following images and chooses the one without interlace stripes.

Simple 2 line duplication on stripes only
Detects high difference levels between two fields and then duplicates them locally, one line from the first field to the other. This method may reduce the picture’s fine details.

Inverse pulldwon + Simple 2 line duplication
Performs inverse pulldown processing to recover the original picture, then duplicates it locally, one line from the first field to the other if high difference levels are detected between two pictures.

Weave
Uses the same method than TV where an image is synthesized with an odd and even field. This method is not very used compared to Double framerate.

so which of those do i use?

cheers
  04-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Verified Member

here is my initial effort.

original screencap:

modified:

i've removed quite a bit of "noise".
i've also boosted the "colour" - but have i overdone it?

should i change any other setting - like brightness, contrast etc?

also removed the annoying "white noise bar" at the top.
used a black mask at the top only.
is this the right thing to do?
  04-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Verified Member

here are links to sample mpgs:

orig link
mod link

1 min samples
about 60mb each

please take a look and let me know if the mod is ok or not.

cheers
  04-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 684 posts since Apr 2007
I have a 10 Chinese disc set that came with more than 100 other Disney/cartoon DVDs. I think the DVDs came from this boxset

All Fullscreen with English and Mandarin Languages with English and Chinese Subtitles (removable).

- #1 : "Flirty Birdy" (1945) (Uncensored), "The Cat Above and The Mouse Below" (1964), "Jerry's Diary" (Uncensored) (1949), "The Cat's Me-Ouch" (1965), "That's My Pup" (1953), "Duel Personality" (1966), "Guided Mouse-ille" (1966), "Just Ducky" (1953), "Hunted Mouse" (1965), "Neapolitan Mouse" (1954), "Jerry-Go-Round" (1966), "Kitty Foiled" (1948), "Much Ado About Mousing" (1964), "Pent-House Mouse" (1963)

- #2: "Texas Tom" (1950), "Puss 'n' Boats" (1966), "That's My Mommy" (1955), "Down Beat Bear" (1956), "Surf-Bored Cat" (1967), "Triplet Trouble" (1952), "Mucho Mouse" (1957), "The Flying Cat" (1952), "The Bodyguard" (1944), "The Little Orphan" (1949) (Censored), "Jerry's Cousin" (1951), "Dr, Jekyll and Mr Mouse" (1947), "Mice Follies" (1954), "The Cat and Mermouse" (1949), "The Cat Concerto" (1947)

- #3: "Mouse Trouble" (1944) (Uncensored), "Jerry and the Loin" (1950), "Mouse in Manhattan" (Uncensored) (1945), "The Milky Waif" (Censored) (1946), "Cat Napping" (1951), "Saturday Evening Puss" (1950) (Uncensored), "Hic-Cup Pup" (1954), "The Invisible Mouse" (1947), "The Million Dollar Cat" (1944), "The Night Before Christmas" (1941), "Polka-Dot Puss" (1949), "Two Little Indians" (1953), "Trap Happy" (Uncensored?) (1946), "Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl" (1950), "Cue Ball Cat" (1950), "Little Runaway" (1952) (Uncensored)

- 4#: Contains: "Fraidy Cat" (1942) (Uncensored), "Baby Butch" (1954), "Johann Mouse" (1953), "Pet Peeve" (Censored) (1954), "The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R." (1967), "The Dog House" (1952), "Baby Puss" (1943), "The Zoot Cat" (1944), "Puss Gets The Boot" (1940) (Censored) (Tom & Jerry's first cartoon), "The Midnight Snack" (1941), "Dog Trouble" (1942) (Censored, Mammy's voice is redubbed), "Puss 'n' Toots" (1942) (Uncensored), "The Bowling Alley-Cat" (1942), "Is There a Doctor in the Mouse?" (1964), "The Yankee Doodle Mouse" (1943) (Uncensored),

- 5#: "Fine Feathered Friend" (1942), "Sufferin Cats!" (1943), "Snowbody Loves Me" (1964), "The Lonesome Mouse" (1943), "The Unshrinkalbe Jerry Mouse" (1964), "Puttin' on the Dog" (1944), "The Mouse Comes to Dinner" (1945) (Uncensored), "Tee for Two" (1945), "Springtime for Thomas" (1946), "Ah, Sweet Mouse-Story of Live" (1965), "Solid Serenade" (1946) , "Tom-ic Energy" (1965), "Cat Fishin'" (1947), "Quite Please!" (1945),

- 6#: "Party Time Pal" (1947) (Censored), "Salt Water Tabby" (1947), "Bad Day at Cat Rock" (1965), "A Mouse in the House" (1947) (Censored), "The Brothers Carry-Mouse-Off" (1965), "Old Rockin' Chair Tom" (1948), "The Truce Hurts" (1948) (Censored), "Professor Tom" (1948), "Mouse Cleaning" (1948) (Censored), "I'm Just Wild About Jerry" (1965), "Hatch Up Your Troubles" (1949) , "Of Feline Bondage" (1965), "Love That Pup" (1949), "Heavenly Puss" (1949),

- #7: "Tennis Chumps" (1949), "Little Quacker" (1950), "The Year of the Mouse" (1965), "Safety Second" (1950) (Uncensored), "Jerry Jerry Quite Contrary" (1966), "The Framed Cat" (1950) (Censored, Mammy's voice is redubbed), "Casanova Cat" (1951) (Uncensored), "Jerry and the Goldfish" (1951), "Sleeply-Time Tom" (1951), "Love Me, Love My Mouse" (1966), "His Mouse Friday" (1951) (Uncensored, Zoomed verison to remove a small cannibal at the end), "The A-Tom-inable Snowman" (1966), "Nit-Witty Kitty" (1951) (At the end of the cartoon Mammy creeps up on Tom with a baseball bat and reads from the book "It says here, a sharp blow on the head is a sure cure for amnesia, and that's what you're gonna get" These lines are supposedly removed on the original R1 spotlight collection 2), "The Duck Doctor" (1952),

- #8: "Fit to be Tied" (1952), "Push-Button Kitty" (1952), "Filet Meow" (1966), "Cruise Cat" (1952), "Catty-Cornered" (1966), "The Two Mouseketeers" (1952) (Uncensored), "Little School Mouse" (1954), "Jerry and Jumbo" (1953), "Smitten Kitten" (1952), "Cat and Dupli-Cat" (1966), "Life with Tom" (1953) (Censored), "O-Solar-Meow" (1966), "Posse Cat" (1954), "The Missing Mouse" (1953),

- #9: "Downhearted Duckling" (1954), "Touché Pussy Cat!" (1954), "Rock 'n' Rodent" (1967), "Southbound Duckling" (1955), "Cannery Rodnet" (1967), "Pup on a Picnic" (1955), "Mouse For Sale" (1955), "Designs on Jerry" (1955), "Tom and Chérie" (1955), "Advance and be Mechanized" (1967), "Smarty Cat" (1955), "Pecos Pest" (1955),

- #10: "Muscle Beach Tom" (1956), "Blue Cat Blues" (1956), "Barbecue Brawl" (1956), "Purr-Chance to Dream" (1967), "Timid Tabby" (1957), "Happy Go Ducky" (1958), "Royal Cat Nap" (1958), "The Vanishing Duck" (1958), "Mantinee Mouse" (1966), "Robin Hoodwinked" (1958), "Tot Watchers" (1958), "The Flying Sorceress" (1955),
  04-17-2011, 03:53 AM

Manthing, you overdid the color. That cyan increase will make a TV go wonky.
Your luminance exceeds NTSC/PAL color safe palettes.
You also introduced chroma errors in your efforts -- notice the yellow now on her arm.

You do NOT want to deinterlace. DO NOT DE-INTERLACE.
Even if there was a reason to deinterlace, you'd want to do it with special motion compensating methods via Avisynth scripting. Animation is too needy even for the generally-good base Yadif method. TMPGEnc deinterlacers are very destructive to both motion and linear animation accuracy.

There's something missing about the 92 vs 114 shorts information. There was something special about the first 92 that often consider them the "classic" set, vs the next 22 shorts that finished out the MGM run. It's been a decade since I looked into it, so I forgot what it was. I thought it was Chuck Jones involvement, but apparently that came later.

No, that's not the menu for the 6-disc Chinese set. That's some homemade set you have. The original Chinese set is written in Mandarin. The Japanese set is in Japanese. The Polish Deitch set, however, is in English, as it appears to be a precursor version to the UK release.

I've overstretched myself, so I don't know how quickly I can help with anything right now. My current CPS focus is the X-MEN bonus for cnickle.
  04-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Verified Member

LS - sure, take your time. no rush at all.

what tools did you use to deduce that the color, luminance and chroma were way off?
let me know / point me towards guides, so that i learn and don't repeat the mistakes.

also, why should i NOT deinterlace?
is there a guide that explains things clearly?

finally, as far as i can remember, the 6 disc T&J set came from you!
but i'll leave things until you get back to me about exactly what T&J stuff you have.

cheers.
  04-17-2011, 01:18 PM

I used my eyes, and I have a calibrated IPS LCD monitor.
I just know. After a few year, you learn what is and isn't too much luma/chroma adjusting.

Interlacing is addressed here: Understanding Your Source (Interlace vs. Progressive vs. De-Interlace)

"Finally, as far as i can remember, the 6 disc T&J set came from you!"
-- Nope.
I have that one, too, but I've never given it out.
  04-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Verified Member

ok, this has video noise removal and black bar at top only.

let me know if this is acceptable or not.
  04-18-2011, 07:38 AM

I really hate Megaupload/etc. I don't have time to wait on that.
Attach to forum posts.
Or let's you and me share a Dropbox.
  04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Verified Member

They released the chuck jones collection on dvd but no Gene Deitch yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Jerry-Chuc...3150835&sr=8-1

Here is the episode menu of the 6 DVD Hong Kong set:Name:  tom and jerry.jpg
Views: 16791
Size:  39.4 KB

04-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Verified Member

DJ17 - your HK T&J set - do you know if they are all uncut / unaltered? or if not, any ideas what has changed? thanks.