08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtapes
will you be getting the new robotech dvd release
http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=443
i have already spent like 400 dollars on robotech dvd sets not sure i was to send another 165 for the new dvd release
The new set is only $62 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005DTGAQQ
So it's a good deal. Free shipping. Pre-order now, ships on or after October 18, 2011.

Better than past years. I remember the 2001 releases cost at least $200 or more, box by box. And then the 2005 releases were at least $80 online (sold in local stores for $100).

... but I have both the 2001 editions and the 2005 editions. I'm good.

The Protoculture Collection (2005 releases) is still sold new/used at Amazon, for the same price now as it was years ago.
Still from $80: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000B5IOY8

The first version was really bad -- just like the original broadcasts and Cartoon Network re-runs, with lots of jumping frames. Like the Transformers Rhino releases from the early 2000s, I believe the original Robotech releases also added in new sound effects that just were not very good. The 2005 Protoculture set was true to the original airings of 1985.

The 2005 version went back to film and redid it, and it was almost flawless from I recall watching. This is the version I can appreciate most. Based on the information I see online, I'm thinking the "new" 2011 set is just the 2005 version, but with added bonus features, and probably better menus and DVD/case artwork. I don't see anything that suggests it's yet another new transfer. After all, the costs for re-transferring video isn't cheap.

More info here: http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=443

Quote:
Aside from featuring all 85 half-hour episodes of the original series (re-mastered from original elements for this release), ROBOTECH: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES also includes over ten hours of bonus programming:

• The Making of Robotech Documentary – NEW to DVD
• Robotech Music Videos – NEW to DVD
• Robotech Overview – NEW to DVD
• Alternate versions of select Robotech episodes – NEW to DVD
• Robotech: The Movie supplementals (including several sequences NEW to DVD)
• Macross Original Pilot – 70 minute extended version - NEW to DVD
• Promotional reel of Robotech Launch in China – NEW to DVD
• Over an hour of deleted scenes
• Robotech: The Sentinels (with optional audio commentary)
• Robotech: The Sentinels promotional video
• Macross Original Pilot – Parts 1, 2 and 3
• Mospeada Original Pilot – Part 1
• Original opening and closing animations
• Galaxy of the Stars - Harmony Gold promotional reel
• Toy Commercial and Videogame presentation reels
• International clips for all three Robotech Wars
• A vast stills appendix containing character bios, model sheets, pre-production art, comic book covers, and merchandise galleries
Quite a few of those things were on the older 2001 releases, but removed from the 2005 releases.
  08-20-2011, 06:41 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 375 posts since Apr 2011
i like you have bought the other robotech dvd releases i am just not sure i want to spend yet more money for the new set
  08-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
In my eyes, it's $60 that could be spent to buy a show I don't already have. I mean, sure, I really like Robotech (one of my favorite 3 toons of all time), but how many different variations do I really need to watch? It's not like the story is changing, or they're giving me anything I've not actually seen, read, watched or already own in some version.

They need to release the Macross English dub, the one found on Hulu. I downloaded all of that series, before Hulu locked up their handshake algorithm (which pretty much prevents downloading streams at this current time -- as far as I'm aware of, at least).
  08-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 375 posts since Apr 2011
i have the dvd release for that series i could hook you up