Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
First came the good news ....

Quote:
The BBC has commissioned fourteen new episodes of the UK's brilliant sci-fi series Doctor Who. Showrunner Steven Moffat retweeted this news on Tuesday from the Doctor Who Magazine Twitter feed. The same Tweet also confirmed that current Doctor Matt Smith will be returning for his third series of the show as well, for yet another year of an absolutely brilliant performance. "[Matt will be returning] definitely," Moffat asserted.

The fourteen episodes will likely consist of a Christmas special and thirteen episodes of the regular series. 2011's Christmas special is slated to begin filming next month, with production for series 7 commencing shortly after that. Still unknown is whether Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill will be returning to their roles of Amy Pond and Rory Williams for series 7. It seems unlikely, as both have signed onto other projects.

"I've got a plan and I'm not telling you what it is," Moffat later tweeted to his followers. "Now hush or River shoots you with her Spoiler Gun."
Then came some bad news ....

Quote:
Confirmed: No Full Season of Doctor Who in 2012 Last week a nasty Doctor Who rumor was circulating — that even though Matt Smith has signed on to do another 14 Doctor Who episodes, there wouldn't be a full season next year. Sadly, these suspicions have been confirmed. Danny Cohen, Controller of BBC One, was speaking at an event where we got the first confirmation that Doctor Who would NOT becoming back for a full season in 2012. A member of the audience, Wayne Clarke, confirmed via twitter that "Danny Cohen says there won't be a full series of Doctor Who in 2012, but a special run for the anniversary in 2013." Which means that perhaps only a few episodes from the new season will air next year, and the rest will air in 2013.
Like I mentioned in the Torchwood thread, I don't know that I see the logic or wisdom in having long, long breaks of 1+ year between seasons of shows. It may cost them less, but I think ultimately it loses the momentum of building a fan base.

Then again ... BBC isn't Fox. They won't cancel the show after just 3 episodes.