Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

09-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 657 posts since Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to jtmovies91
Does anyone know a product that will removes slight scratches from discs I have bought 2 machines from Walmart and Radi Shack and a gel to remove scratches do not work help please
  09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
I had a problem like that before. I had a dvd that wasn't reading on my dvd player. I brought it to one of those stores that rebuffers the disc with an extra layer of plastic. I brought the disc home and the disc still wouldn't work.

I began searching the internet to find ways to fix a scratched disc and one of the things that I came up with was to boil the disc. Yes you heard right. Get a pot of water out and wait for the water to start boiling. Then hold your scratched disc over the smoke using a hot dog or salad tong and wait till you see one (or more if the disc still doesn't work) of the disc layers peel back. You should notice the disc getting lesser scratches when the layers get peeled. Do this for less than 5 minutes or until you want. I actually left my disc in pot for a minute for extra measure.

I did this and the disc now works perfectly on a dvd player and even is copyable.

Be advised that if you keep the disc boiling for too long, you might loose the data on it. I would do little by little until it works.
  09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Stats: 57 posts since Jun 2009
Sometimes discs are not actually scratched, but damaged internally.
What's led you to believe that the discs are scratched?
  09-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 657 posts since Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to jtmovies91
I had 5 in a folder none of them work says blank no media or error I'm so mad lol