11-28-2011, 04:19 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I'm considering purchasing a Blu Ray DVD player and hooking it up to my current reciever for surround sound.

My problem: My reciever has component hookups (red,blue,green) for picture and a digital optical hookup for sound. It does not nave HDMI hookups. I cannot find a blu ray player that has both the component hookups and the digital optical connections. They have the HDMI connections and since I don't want to upgrade my reciever at the moment. I'm looking to get a Panasonic player that has the digital optical conection and the HDMI connection, My question is: Can I hook the HDMI cable up to the tv for picture and just turn the volume all the way down on the tv and use the digital optical connection for sound without having lagtime in the end results between the two connections, ie will the sound be out of sync with the picture?
  11-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It depends on the receiver, honestly. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
I think it will be fine.