01-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
as time forages on, i find that there are more and more unaired episodes of shows. some eventually find their way on trade lists, or are shown when another network airs the reruns, but a fair amount are never seen by the public. I find this distressing, because alot of people put in alot of hard work to make these episodes, and they're seemingly lost forever.

I think the biggest example was a reality program called "Playing it Straight", which was a Bachelorette type program, with the kicker being that some of the males were gay. the network didn't even air the last half of the series, so for a long time, we didn't know whether she won or not.

any other thoughts on this?
  01-17-2010, 03:59 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 8 posts since Nov 2009
I think they invest little money, on a show that "might make it"
and there are fewer copies circulated-

years ago, i worked at an editors office- and things that came in, that didn't work out- ended up in the bin.
Well out of lets say 125 that get tossed out, I know, some emplouyees take it home, or even other janitors did-

But years ago, they made less, and less people valued them..or had machines to play it on, or just didn't care i think..

just my 7 cents...this is 2010- had to add inflation
  01-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
The cost of producing a show falls on the production company. I think if the network chooses not to air it, they are not out as much money as the production company. I could be wrong on that, but I think there are occasions where it's cheaper not to air something than it is to air it. Plus you've got the issues of advertisers - if no one wants to buy ad time during a show, that's a major loss to the network, not the production company.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  01-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Yeah I never thought about advertising in aspect...
that makes a lot more sense to me--