01-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
I acquired this series a little while ago. I've watched about 3/4 of the episodes so far and thought it was good quality considering the source (vhs tapes from the 80's). Prior to this week, I traded the set at least once, with no complaints. I traded the set again during this week to someone on sell.com, and he said the quality was pretty rough, which surprised me. I checked on ioffer to see what the people were saying about it, and several other people said the quality was rough, some going as far to say it was downright poor.

I must say, this did shock me. There aren't any crackles in sound, video distortion or any other obvious glitches. The only thing I noticed was that the quality isn't pristine, but to be honest, I kind of like my old horror shows to be a little grainy, it makes the viewing experience creepier and more nostalgic. But I definitely don't consider the quality to be poor.

any thoughts on this?
  01-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I know the creator, and it was made about 8 years ago- some were vhs, a couple were a retial vhs that had like 2 episodes on it, as i recall.

Due to the age- 1- the quality of which they could create copies at that point, and 2- considering it never aired again in syndication at a higher quality- to me, the rarity, and so forth/age- I thought it very good quality.

No hissing came across on my side, rolling- like some vhs tracking has-

the grainy texture, I always presumed was from its original recordings, not a transfer-
and the sound- i think might have been mono- but that wasn't the transfer either, i doubt--could be wrong.

I conisdered it up there with "sure would love to get better"
but give technology/age of recordings and availability- I was very pleased with it.
  01-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
this trade i was talking about, i traded it for the nightmares movie. I think what I'm going to do is offer the nightmares movie as a bonus. the 4 segments on the nightmares movies were actually intended to be darkroom segments, but were deemed too intense for television.
  01-24-2010, 04:41 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 199 posts since Nov 2009
I'll throw my two cents in here, for whatever it's worth. I don't know if I have the same DARKROOM set, but I'm assuming mine is the one that is commonly in circulation. I'd have to rate it as being somewhat on the rough side, but certainly quite viewable. For older vhs, it's not terrible, but it's not remarkably good either. I had no idea that any eps had ever been released on retail vhs, so that's nice to know. But it's not accurate to say the show never aired in syndication. It aired on the USA Network several times back in the late 1980s/early 1990s (about the same time they were syndicating WEREWOLF). So I'm surprised there aren't more copies floating around from those broadcasts. Many thanks for passing along that bit of trivia about the segments of the NIGHTMARES movie originally being intended for DARKROOM. I had never heard that, but you can certainly see the similarities in the productions.