11-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Hello everyone:
Can DVD+Rs be converted to DVD-R?

I recently acquired a FANTASTIC disc but I can only view it on my PC. It won't play on my old dvd player, my xbox 360 or my xbox.

This is actually kinda neat since the response may take me a little further in my burning skills. I'm still a novice but I sure enjoy the learning and the results. And I might even get to see these videos on a full size tv screen.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
  11-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 389 posts since Aug 2005
Is it in standard vob format, or is it AVI?
  11-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 199 posts since Nov 2009
I've never tried going from DVD+R to DVD-R via my computer, but both of my standalone DVD duplicators will transfer a recording from one medium to the other with the touch of a button. I think it's a fairly standard option with duplicators.
  11-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Hi James....saw your post/reply about VOB and AVI...wanted to toss a little info your way
Hope this helps..
AVI is becoming increasingly more popular-
Chances are, most items/players can deal with AVI.
Pc's may need an update in a codec file, but usually they play with no issues.

VOB stands for DVD Video Object. It is basically one of the core files found on DVD-Video discs and contains the actual movie data. Basically VOB file is just a basic MPEG-2 system stream -- meaning that it is a file that contains multiplexed MPEG-2 video stream, audio streams (normally AC3 and DTS formats) and subtitle streams.
DVD VOB file and IFO file - the difference is as follows:

IFO normally refers to a file on DVD-Video disc and stands for Information.While the main content of DVD-Video disc are the VOB files which contain the actual MPEG-2 audio, video and subtitle streams, the IFO files provide information for DVD player where DVD-Video disc's chapters start, where certain audio tracks are located, etc..
DVD VOB file and VIDEO_TS folder - the difference is as follows:

On a DVD disc, VOB files are stored in the VIDEO_TS folder. There is also an AUDIO_TS folder, this is where DVD-Audio would be stored, but usually the folder is empty. The TS stands for "title set" and is part of DVD structure. The before mentioned VIDEO_TS folder will hold all the pertinent information such as Informaton (IFO) and any backup (BUP) files that are necessary for the DVD to even be read.

AVI, Audio Video Interleave, known by its acronym AVI, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its Video for Windows technology. AVI files can contain both audio and video data in a file container that allows synchronous audio-with-video playback. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.avi

As far as changing dvd + to dvd -

there is no such thing as "converting" dvd+r to dvd-r. They are just media. (unless I missed something)....

(this is a link for more info)

And I have found this article/link helpful for many
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=42
  11-29-2010, 10:41 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 211 posts since Dec 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to repeatshistory
Simply put, I have never had a problem with my duplicator burning the data from a dvd-r to a +r and vice versa, if that's what you're wondering. But I've seen other folks have issues with it too. I suppose it all depends on your duplicator and method.