11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
Hi!

'Hoping someone can help me out with this...

I have a Copystars 1:3 DVD duplicator...about 2 years old. I'm afraid I have worn the latch mechanism out on the top tray. As long as there is a disc in the tray it will open when I press the button, but if it's empty....that's another story! I had been able to get it to open when I kept hitting the open button enough. Unfortunately, last night when I finished using it, I forgot to leave a "dummy" disc in there. Now I can't get it to open. I've tried variations of how long or often I pressed the open button, I've tried gently prying it alittle at several spots...nothing I've tried has worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way I can fix this tray? Or do I need to replace just that top device or the whole duplicator?

If I can replace just the device with the faulty latch, what specifications do I need to look for in a replacement unit? Being that the duplicator does all the copy & compare, burn speed selections, pre-scan, etc. functions...is it something other than an ordinary DVD burner drive?

I hope that all made sense...and I hope someone can explain what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to give me.
  11-29-2010, 12:24 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 211 posts since Dec 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to repeatshistory
There should be a small hole near the bottom of the drawer, just big enough for a pin or a paperclip. This the 'emergency' manual eject button for the drawer. If the mechanism isn't completely screwed, you should be able to open it with this. I had a drive that had a similar problem, and it did eventually just wear out, but that little 'emergency' hole kept it going for awhile until I could afford to get a new drive. Hope that helps!
  11-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
Woo hoo!!!!! Thank you! Thank You! THANK YOU!!!! It worked! I can't begin to thank you enough!!! I have a couple of trades in the works and really didn't want to finish them up doing a bunch of rip/burns.

Repeatshistory, you're the tops!! If I can ever help you out with anything just let me know! My lists are at
www.grillgoil43.webs.com (TV shows, documentaries, etc.)
and
www.grillgoil43-movies.webs.com (movies)
please, let me know if I have anything you've been looking for...I'd love to send you something for your help!

Thanks again, so very, very much!
  11-29-2010, 10:29 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 211 posts since Dec 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to repeatshistory
I'm glad it worked. I'll PM you.
  03-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Hello: I just saw your message. It sounds like it is just like an xbox. When the tray won't open, just stick a paperclip in the tiny hole near the tray. And you'll also be pleased to know that if you do that long enough, there may come a time when it starts to work without the clip. Go figure!