Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Reality TV: Sports, Gameshows, Non-Fiction

05-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Last year's 'American Idol' winner, Lee DeWyze, was absent from the stage during the season finale episode this week, and although he appeared on the series earlier this spring, he played no part in crowning new Idol Scotty McCreery.

Eagle-eyed viewers could spot DeWyze sitting in the audience at the Nokia Theater. But Ryan Seacrest never singled him out to let fans know the most recent 'Idol' was even in the house.

Why the snub? In years past, the champ from the previous cycle passed the torch with a performance, but this season seems to have ended in a feud.

Prior to the live broadcast, DeWyze hinted at trouble in this tweet: "Hey guys, no I'm not performing at the Finale. I wasn't asked to."

But 'Idol' producer Nigel Lythgoe soon gave the night's events a slightly different spin, casting DeWyze as an unwilling participant.
"I was so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn't present the winners trophy to Scotty," Lythgoe tweeted after the episode aired. "Especially as he'd been on the show this Season. I guess he was shy."

In his defense, the 25-year-old posted this comeback: "First off I want to say congrats to Scotty & Lauren.... Secondly, just for the record... I was not asked to be involved in the Finale. It wasn't until about 2 minutes before they announced [a winner] that Nigel had approached me and asked if he could 'borrow' me for a second."

DeWyze continued, "I didn't feel a last-second jump on stage was appropriate. It was Scotty's moment. I appreciate American Idol, and the opportunity it has given me.... I am not angry, or bitter etc. It was an amazing Finale, and I would have loved to be a part of it. I just wasn't asked. Good luck to all the contestants and stay true to yourself."

Now, the singer is elaborating in a new interview with the Hollywood Reporter: "Viewers and the people who vote on American Idol, I don't think they're stupid," DeWyze says of the headlines he's made. "If [Lythgoe] thinks that I'm a shy person, just sit with me for a minute and talk to me, you'll find out very quickly that I'm not. Why he said that, I can't speak for him. He's the big shot, but it came down to simple facts for me: I was not asked to perform on the show, which was something I was hoping to be a part of, since it was such a big part of my life. A last-second scramble.... seemed inappropriate and kind of ridiculous.... So yes, when Nigel tapped me on the shoulder and asked to 'borrow' me, I said No, and next thing I know, he's talking about it publicly. I don't know what point he's trying to make, but it's really not a big deal to me anymore. I'm over it."

He continues, "I didn't want them to throw me a bone because I didn't perform," calling Lythgoe "a very vocal person, and I can respect that part, but other than that, I can't say there's anything that's made me want to go have a drink with the guy." He points out, "I just love music, man, and that's what keeps me going."