Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
One of TV's longest-running – and hottest-looking – couples are to be no more.

This week brought the official announcement from NBC that Christopher Meloni, who has played Detective Stabler on Law & Order: SVU since the series began in 1999, will not be back for a 13th season this fall. Contract talks reportedly broke down.

That leaves his costar, Mariska Hargitay, partner-less. But the week also brought the unsettling news that the actress will be not be appearing in all of next season's episodes.

Regarding the departure of her costar, Hargitay – who plays Detective Olivia Benson – said in a statement released late Friday:

"For the past 12 years Chris Meloni has been my partner and friend, both on screen and off. He inspired me every day with his integrity, his extraordinary talent and his commitment to the truth. I love him deeply and will miss him terribly – I'm so excited to see what he'll do next."
  05-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
Geez! Why is it that 'the powers that be' do things like this!?! After 12 years of good ratings and popularity of this couple...don't they realize that they're cutting their own throats when it comes to this show? I didn't watch this show on a regular bases but even I could see that this partnership was the glue.
  05-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I'm not sure if he himself chose---I know, in Criminal Minds, when Mandy left it was due to an inability to see eye to eye with the producers.
Although they recently lost JJ in the last seeason and ended this, with her coming back. So maybe it is just a tactic to get people to gasp and wait his return..who knows, bad idea- in my opinion- I loved their interaction and I know in Criminal Intent, when they changed the partnership the show went down the drain