Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
in some respects, yesterday was a real sad day for me. I had come to the realization that the last of the remaining video stores in my area had closed up shop.

I always seem to be behind the times, so I can't comment on much about Netflix, the Red Box, etc as I haven't used them to this date. Except to say it seems as if they have replaced the video store.

But I can say that I will miss the video store. Not so much the chains, but the mom and pop ones. These were the ones with the friendliest employees, and I would frequently have conversations with them. These were the ones with the biggest and best collections. The ones that had the classics and rarities.

I'll always have fond memories of , as a kid, riding my bike into the downtown portion of my small town, visiting the local establishments, one of which, was the video store. It was always interesting to see what obscure movies would be labeled with tags that read "manager's picks", "hidden gems" or "hot seller".

So now it's time to raise a glass and bid a fond adieu to a friend.
  12-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
My first job was at Kens world of video. I met people talked movies ate popcorn watched screeners.....it wasnt a job, not really.....worked at various stores after that leaving the small tp manage a blockbuster eventually which I hated. Though I worked there I still rented and bought at Top Hat video for years. When dvds became popular I watched them slowly slip away as with so man others.
/you cant engage a Red Box machine, you cant shoot the breeze with Netfkix....just isnt the same.
Like the old Pharmacy, or the candy store.....they will be missed.
  12-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 389 posts since Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182 View Post
in some respects, yesterday was a real sad day for me. I had come to the realization that the last of the remaining video stores in my area had closed up shop.

I always seem to be behind the times, so I can't comment on much about Netflix, the Red Box, etc as I haven't used them to this date. Except to say it seems as if they have replaced the video store.

But I can say that I will miss the video store. Not so much the chains, but the mom and pop ones. These were the ones with the friendliest employees, and I would frequently have conversations with them. These were the ones with the biggest and best collections. The ones that had the classics and rarities.

I'll always have fond memories of , as a kid, riding my bike into the downtown portion of my small town, visiting the local establishments, one of which, was the video store. It was always interesting to see what obscure movies would be labeled with tags that read "manager's picks", "hidden gems" or "hot seller".

So now it's time to raise a glass and bid a fond adieu to a friend.
I had my favorite store, Parkway video and new releases came out on Thursday. I would call up the manager, Tippy and he would tell me what came out and I told him what I wanted. I would come in late in the afternoon with a cup of coffee and a donut and we would shoot the breeze for a half hour before I left with my choices. It was fun to be the first to have and that was a long time ago. Parkway closed about 8 years ago.