11-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
So this story on yahoo homepage yesterday that NBC has is trying to resurrect yet another blast from the past series, I would post the link to the story but I didn't know if it was allowed in the group..anyway it's on yahoo's home page if anyone wants the scoop....just curious if anyone had any thoughts or if anyone else had anymore info on it .

Dwen
  11-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
It amazes me what gets brought back up....I recently heard there is a new fantasy island in th works too.....ill be curious what pans out
  11-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
I have mixed feelings on this 're-incarnations'...it's a compliment to the original program, but at the same time, it just isn't the same. The first thing that always comes to my mind is The Monkees and The New Monkees...how can it be The Monkees without THE MONKEES?
Now the new Hawaii Five-O seems to be okay but it just isn't right without Jack Lord and James MacArthur and the rest...it's just not the same.

To me, it's almost like they've run out of good ideas for new shows (and music) so they try to bring the old stuff back to life. But then I'm one that believes in "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

=)
  08-05-2012, 05:10 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
I don't know of many successes when it comes to revivals of old tv shows. I confess I have not seen the new Munsters or Leave it to Beaver and a few others I imagine. But the new Sherlock Holmes, perhaps an exception to the rule, gives me hope. While I have a passion for the old and it is a compliment that studios keep attempting to find the same old glory of tv past shows, I find few shows measure up to what once was. But those shows were, in my eyes, great. Andy Griffith, Green Acres, Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Gilligan, it may be difficult to achieve the same success and as viewers, the attempts we see may be poor renditions but I'm glad they keep trying. It tells me that the studios may not be able to duplicate every aspect of greatness but they recognize it. As long as they keep trying, there is hope. If the acting and the writing measure up, they just might have something in the works. Who knows?
  08-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langford View Post
I don't know of many successes when it comes to revivals of old tv shows.
Agreed.

Quote:
the new Munsters or Leave it to Beaver
For their time, there were horrible.
For the current time, sadly, these would be better than the average crap we're getting.

Quote:
and a few others I imagine. But the new Sherlock Holmes, perhaps an exception to the rule, gives me hope.
UK does well with re-imaginings and reinventing (or continuing!) old shows. The difference is that the UK doesn't abuse time slots like it happens in the USA. Nor are the network so quick to tease new shows with partial orders, nor cancel at the first whiff that something might be less than perfect for the 18-49 audience.

Quote:
Get Smart,
Sometimes a good redo is messed up by bad actors. Andy Dick ruined the 1995 Get Smart redo. It would have been a good continuation with a better actor, and some better writers. They tried to continue 1960s camp, instead of toning it down for the Seinfeld era of comedy.

Quote:
It tells me that the studios may not be able to duplicate every aspect of greatness but they recognize it.
It tells me that there's no more originality in Hollywood. Just rehashing past success.

They're not giving new shows the same opportunities that shows had in past decades. These days, some of the most popular shows to have ever existed would have never been made. The cannot stand up to the instant-success needs of studio execs. The days of NBC, ABC and CBS giving shows a season to try are gone. They'll pull you after just a few episodes if the numbers are not perfect right out of the shoot.
  08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I've read somewhere that there is 250 movies being remade at the moment.
F&&king Stupid