Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
Hi everyone,
Glad the merger was a success....I was wanting know (kinda off topic for the site) but can anyone recommend a free program for transferring cassettes to CD? I have a bunch of demos from my band from back in the day that are starting to suffer on tape after 10 plus years and want to preserve them while i can. I would like something that can automatically detect track breaks like Roxio CD Creator which I was using on my Win XP system that crashed and the program is not compatible with Vista.

Thanks in advance,

DWEN
  02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Audacity is easily the best free audio editor: http://audacity.sourceforge.net

I don't know about automatic detection of breaks. I've always found those features to be too inaccurate. It takes less time for me to just look at the audio waveform visually, and cut it when there's a long flatline.

Audacity has some excellent noise reduction tools, too.

Moving this to the tech forum. Also remember to try and make thread titles as descriptive as possible, to encourage others to participate.

Update: I found this Audacity multi-track export info elsewhere online:

Most likely, you will have multiple tracks or songs in your recording, and it makes sense to export them as multiple files. Ensure you have all the tracks recorded, using the Fit Project button on the Edit Toolbar. The number of ‘boxes’ or ‘balloons’ should correspond to the number of tracks. Using the zoom controls, click in the gap between songs, choose Tracks-Add Label at Selection. Name the labels as per your song titles.

Name:  labelled-tracks.png
Views: 140
Size:  7.2 KB

Select File-Export Multiple, choose MP3 Files as the Export format. Click Options to use the built-in presets to select the quality of the MP3.

Name:  export-multiple.png
Views: 152
Size:  9.6 KB

02-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
This is great, thanks! I have a few audio tapes that either have not been released as CDs, or the CDs are missing tracks. I'll have to give this program a try.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
this looks awesome LS, thanks for freeware it seems to do a lot, I think I will be able to try this out when laying down some live guitar tracks.

DWEN