Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

02-09-2012, 12:15 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 35 posts since Jan 2012
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate subforum, but I'd just like to warn any fellow fans: if you see these on eBay or elsewhere, don't waste your money like I did. All of Mighty Morphin Season 1 is available, and the covers are nice, but that's where the good ends.

The MMPR volumes are NTSC, but have been badly deinterlaced before being encoded to MPEG-2. Apart from the aliasing this causes, you get noticeable stutter because most of the episodes' footage was shot on film at 24 fps and then telecined to 59.94Hz. When you deinterlace this like they did by dropping one of the fields, what you get is 29.97 fps video with 1 frame repeated every 5.

Some screenshots; look particularly at diagonal lines.

German DVD (PAL with ghosting)

Malaysian DVD (NTSC)

Canadian TV (NTSC)

Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, and DinoThunder are PAL standards-conversions with washed-out color (haven't bothered to make screenshots).

These are official releases with holograms and government copyright registration numbers to prove it. The MMPR ones are sponsored by Sharp Aquos, bizarrely. The distributors are Speedy Video and HVN (who also released many of the old VCDs).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-Ger.jpg (39.5 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg 01-Malay.jpg (34.1 KB, 640 views)
File Type: jpg 01-Can.jpg (35.2 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg 02-Ger.jpg (34.9 KB, 846 views)
File Type: jpg 02-Malay.jpg (28.9 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg 02-Can.jpg (30.7 KB, 773 views)
The following users thank thepasswordisfail for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-09-2012)
  02-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Yuck.

There's a high probability that these are badly-converted discs made from the official German PAL DVD release sources. I have MMPR S1-S3 official releases, bought from Amazon.de. Most people do not realize the German PR releases are dual audio, with both English and German.
I see these on Amazon.de, too:
  • Power Rangers Operation Overdrive Complete [5 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers Turbo - Die komplette Staffel [5 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers ZEO - Die komplette Staffel [6 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers In Space (Complete Season) [5 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers Ninja Storm - Complete Season [5 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers Dino Thunder - Die komplette Staffel [8 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers Lost Galaxy - Die komplette Staffel [5 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers S.P.D. - Die komplette Staffel [9 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers Wild Force - Complete Season [5 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers - Time Force - Complete Season [4 DVDs]
  • Power Rangers Mystic Force - Die komplette Staffel [6 DVDs]

I'm not a huge MMPR fan, and what I have is mostly by happenstance than intended purchase. I remember watching the MMPR during it's first run, and then I found Time Force decent.

I know the MMPR releases are English. The others probably are, too. (Just read the descriptions and reviews.)

These are Region 2 PAL discs. Just copy the disc to remove the region.
Then many NTSC players play region-free PAL just fine, because most DVD players are made from universal kits in China. The differences in a PAL and NTSC DVD player is quite small now.