Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead At 66
Rolling StoneRolling Stone – 1 hour 10 minutes ago

Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of an apparent heart attack at age 66. The singer – who had been on a solo tour this month - complained of chest pains last evening and was admitted to a hospital this morning in Stuart Florida.

Jones was born in Manchester, England and started acting as a child, though he got his big break in 1965 when he joined The Monkees. The group had a hugely successful television series, and a slew of hit songs in the late 1960s. At their peak in 1967 they sold more records than the Beatles.

Jones played tambourine and was the lead vocalist on "Daydream Believer," "I Wanna Be Free" and many other classics. The group split in 1971, though they reunited many times over the past forty years. They toured last summer for the first time in nearly a decade, but it was called short because of what Monkees guitarist Peter Tork called a "glitch."

Rolling Stone will have more information as it becomes available.
  03-01-2012, 03:02 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I liked hearing his songs on the Scooby Doo cartoons.
  03-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
It's really sad, I think what upset me was here where I live the news story was like show on our local news as part of those "Around the World In 60 Seconds" type segments, but Whitney Houston got a live break in during prime time on our local ABC affiliate.

Not saying she wasn't a icon as well, just found it kinda humorous. RIP Davy Jones!
  03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
By any chance did anyone happen to record the Biography Channel's program on The Monkees and if you did, would you be willing to trade something for it? I'm more than happy to trade ten discs of something from my list for it.

Thanks!