03-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
http://vimeo.com/38732033 - Cheltenham Art Project.

For the past month i have been doing some volunter work to pratice my filming and editing skills for 2 companies. This is my first job as an video editor and it has helped me to land a 2nd job next year, which is a wedding and poss one more job in 2 weeks time.

I only get £10 a dvd, which is just to cover costs. everything else i did for nothing, just to get the experience.

I spent 4 days completing this video, i had 2hrs 30 mins of footage record in 1980x1280 HD Avi, then converted to mpeg2 1280x720 to edit it. 2 days of rending, the other 2 days was editing and putting the video 2gether

I used after effects to create the end credits and the transitions to give a more pro feel. I then use after effects to create the time stretch and added the track from a music composer for free.

I have put this on dvd and wanted to share the video and see what you guys think, and show of my work... I have uploaded to vimeo, so at least its copywrited to protect my work.

i dont know if you can embed vimeo videos here, so i just posted the link instead, any thoughts, opinions etc will be welcomed. Enjoy!!!!!
  03-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 241 posts since Jun 2005
It's nice.

Feedback: The second page of credits--where it says Videographer--disappears a bit too quickly. I barely get to it and it has already started fading away. So, you may want to make them remain onscreen for just a little bit longer.

Then again, I'm a big fan of popping credits that do not fade. I tried fading material too but ultimately decided against it. Non-fade is rough but doesn't waste any time on half-visible material. I think this is why most TV shows do it this way.
  03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 167 posts since Jun 2005
I always like to see artists and or workers in motion!
Thank you for posting.
  03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Nope, no Vimeo embedding. I'll have to add it.

Looks good.

The bulk of the video appears to be decimating frames for the "speed up" effect. Just as a tip, that's sometimes easier to do in Avisynth or VirtualDub with a preprocessed video before importing into an NLE. Good execution of a standard time lapse effect.

Good music choice. Although I'd have faded the last notes, not let it die mid-phrase.

I also wouldn't worry too much about statements of "full permission" on Vimeo. That should be implied. A more graceful approach would to simply attach a standard copyright notice to the bottom of the description and be done with it.

Which brand/model camera are you using?
What about the tripods and other accessories?
Did you initially record any sound and change your mind later? Or was it always going to be "silent" (music overlay)?

Again, looks good.
  03-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
nd9ds9u3 - you notice with the credits that it appears for 3 seconds each frame. Thats a standard frame rate for the amount of credits i had, otherwise it wouldn't work, fades our good and common to use as effects, good one to know.

LS- what type of copyright statement would be ok? i use a cmos HD 1920x1080 camcorder. only used a standard cheap 2 way tripod, since then ive upgraded to a 3way tripod.

I record sound with it as normal, but my clint wanted a music track instead. we discuss everything she wanted and i just tailored it to her needs. i got postive reviews from my clinits already and they love it.

"We have just watched your video - it is absolutely amazing!
Very well done you - I can't wait for our website to be completed and have it uploaded.
I am so impressed - we all are. You are so skilled."

thanks guys for the kind words, glad you enjoy it.