Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

03-21-2012, 11:31 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 35 posts since Jan 2012
I was wondering how Cookie Jar and Mill Creek managed to sell this complete series set for a few dimes per episode. Apparently by hiring people who don't know what they're doing.

The show mixes 24 fps animation with 30 fps CGI. The first two DVD episodes are normal. The next two were deinterlaced prior to being encoded to MPEG-2... in interlaced mode. That's as far as I've watched so far.

The result is the same as the Malaysian Power Rangers DVDs I complained about earlier: jaggies and jerky video. The streaming versions available with Amazon Prime end up looking better.

Name:  sherlock01a.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  59.1 KBName:  sherlock01b.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  sherlock02a.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  50.5 KBName:  sherlock02b.jpg
Views: 2630
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  sherlock03a.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  75.6 KBName:  sherlock03b.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  73.0 KB

Is it really too much to ask that my interlaced-formatted DVDs actually contain interlaced video?

03-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It actually aired this way when E/I was new on TV (2005?). So I think blame falls on DIC here. I recorded almost every episode off TV when the DIC E/I was new. The Littles and a few other toons were butchered in the same way. The cheap DVD sets probably come from the same fubar masters. Both Mill Creek and Cookie Jar are budget releasing operations.

At best, some episodes just had field oddities, and lacked any jerky movement (my pet peeve, and I refuse to watch jerky video, as it gives me a headache).

That said, I'm grateful it got a release of any kind.
  03-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Verified Member

Thanks for the info. I'd be more grateful for the DVD release if it wasn't already widely available on web services, although to "own" it on something like iTunes is actually more than twice the price of the DVD set.

You're probably right about DiC messing it up. I was surprised to see their logo at the end of the episodes rather than the Cookie Jar logo that replaced it for the downloads (and the recent TV airings of DiC's other cartoons).
  03-23-2012, 09:33 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 41 posts since Apr 2011
Dang, I'd thought I dreamt this show up. 'Tis a shame that Cookie Jar can't be bothered to do anything properly, though. How do they look on a TV set?
  03-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Verified Member

I don't watch DVDs on CRT anymore if that's what you mean.