04-01-2012, 05:37 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 295 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to rockettj1225
I have a question about Antenna Cable going digital, will my basic DVD recorder be no good any longer? If yes, Can you buy a digital cable recorder?

I don't really understand this stuff well.
  04-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
If your cable company is switching to all-digital, then you'll have to get a cable box to tune channels. Some channels may come over the QAM, which ATSC/DTV tuners can received (inside HDTVs and some DVD recorders).

A cable box is treated like a VCR -- use s-video or composite to connect it to a DVD recorder. You have to maintain two separate timers, and manually sync them (make them match on both devices). The DVD recorder tunes to the AV input, while the cable box tunes to channels at preset times.