Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

04-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 47 posts since Aug 2010
First of all let me say hello and thank LS for info on what looks to be a great program. I was a member at the savagetraders site, and found this thru the merge.

I'm having some trouble figuring out DVD Workshop, though. When I try to "load" a file, I'm getting a test pattern thumbnail, and the video will not play in the "screen". I'm sure there is something I'm missing or doing wrong. I tried to follow LS's tutorial video, but this stuff is new and greek to me. I've been using DVD Flick to author, but I'm wanting to move on to something better.

Thanks,

Tommy

Last edited by tebjr; 04-16-2012 at 09:27 PM.
  04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Let's start slow: Which version of Windows are you using?

- It works native in Windows XP.
- It requires VirtualPC 2007 (with XP installed inside) to work in Windows Vista.
- Use "XP mode" in Windows 7, and install it in the fake/virtual XP session.
  04-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Verified Member

Thanks for the reply LS.

I'm using Windows 7 with the .dlls installed.

I wasn't running it in XP mode. I am now, though.
  04-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Yep -- Windows 7 lets DVDWS2 install, but the preview is broken.

Some people have blamed Ulead for this, but the fault lies with Microsoft. Windows Vista/7 broken a lot of legacy functionality for audio/video workflows, which is why many advanced videographers are hardware- and software-locked to XP. Mac is the same way -- it's easy to get locked into a specific version of OS X, otherwise the program or hardware fails.

If you still have questions, ask away. I may not answer immediately, but I will within a few days
  04-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Verified Member

Does running in XP mode still give the broken preview? I'm still getting the test pattern screen. Like I said, this is greek, so please, be gentle. lol
  04-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Verified Member

OK, I got the preview to work, but I have no audio. Should it play, or do I have to add that in?
  04-17-2012, 12:01 AM

Hmm.... I'll need to test it out. I primarily use this on XP systems, but I've installed it on Vista and 7 purely to test. I'll need a couple of days, however, as my Windows 7 system is a work computer and being used until the weekend. I could have sworn the audio was fine.

Not to ask stupid questions, but is XP muted by chance? Speakers turned on, etc? (It happens. )
  04-17-2012, 06:41 AM

Verified Member

Now I ask a stupid question. How do I check if XP is muted? The rest of my system is working, volume wise.
  04-17-2012, 05:21 PM

Verified Member

After fooling around with it all day, I'm still at a loss on the audio.

After looking at my last question, I hope I didn't come off as you were asking off-the-wall questions LS. That certainly wasn't my intention. I'm very green at this and still learning things that should be basic stuff. I was very comfortable with XP, but 7 has thrown me for a loop.
  04-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Verified Member

Well, after doing some searching, I think I'm screwed on getting the audio to work. I am running it XP compatibility mode, not the actual Virtual PC mode. And since I have Windows 7 Home Premium, I can't download Virtual PC from Microsoft. And the people that have been able to install it on Home Premium say it doesn't work properly.
  04-18-2012, 05:17 PM

I'm going to test it this weekend. I just can't do it M-F this week, because of work.
  04-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Verified Member

No problem LS. Work comes first.
  05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I selected "Run this program as an administrator" and I run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). The only problem I have is that I can't hear the audio. I tried it in edit mode and in the preview in finish and I don't hear anything.
  05-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Verified Member

Are you using Windows 7 Bigk?
  05-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Verified Member

Yes. I forgot to mention that. It's the best version of Windows but it has problems with some older programs. Running the program as an administrator fixes most problems with running the program. I'm an administrator but yet some programs don't seem to know that.
  05-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Verified Member

I'm using Windows 7 as well, and from what I've read, everything will work in DVD Workshop using Windows 7 except for the audio. The audio will be on the DVD when you're finished with it, but it will not work in the preview.
  05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Verified Member

That's the same thing I figured out. You just better be sure the audio works on the video before you author it. I use a DVD-RW to check a DVD after authoring it to make sure that everything looks and works just the way I want it. Then I can just erase the disc as many times as needed until I do the final burn on a DVD-R.
  05-06-2012, 10:40 PM

Never use DVDWS2 to burn discs or make ISO/image files. Use it only for authoring to folders.
After that's done, watch it in PowerDVD (best) or VLC (freeware, but not always great for playing DVD folders).
Then burn in ImgBurn for best results.
  05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Verified Member

I've been using DVDWS2 to burn discs for years and it always comes out great. The quality is always just as good as it is on my computer. Some people may not like it but it doesn't mean that it's a bad program. You can't please everyone.
  05-06-2012, 11:01 PM

The burning method is not DVD-Video compliant. It's not as much of an issue with single-layer media, but burning dual/double-layer media is usually a guaranteed coaster. It doesn't gap IFO/BUP, and it doesn't set a proper layer break. DVDWS2's burning engine is from the 1990s. That's why ImgBurn is suggested, as it is compliant.

IFO is the main nav file of authored content. If it goes bad, then the disc is bad.
The BUP is a backup of the IFO. As such, it's supposed to be located on a different sector -- i.e., gapped.

The layer break is just flat wrong.

Remember, I do optical media research.