Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

04-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 37 posts since Apr 2012
I hope someone can help me. I have a dvd which has .avi files on it, it is my only copy. I was trying to copy it last night for a trade but one of the .avi files won't transfer off the disc on to the hard drive.

I tried to get it off by using a piece of software called Unstoppable Copy but it hasn't worked.

Is there anything else I can try? This is a rare show which I do not want to lose.

Thank you.
  04-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
You may need a better drive. Reading errors are rarely correctable by software. Rather than buy a drive, try drives at the homes/office of friends and family. Unstoppable Copy doesn't appear to be made for optical media. Use ISO Puzzle instead.
  04-26-2012, 03:05 AM

Verified Member

It wouldn't make any difference what drive I put the disc into, I just have a gut feeling about that. I will look up what you recommended, thanks.
  04-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Verified Member

Thanks, glorious leader! I had never heard of that piece of software before, so googled it and it took me to a site with lots of other bits similar to it on it. ISO Puzle didn't work for me but I found something else that did. It got the file off the disc in the blink of a glass eye. Marvellous. Thanks!
  04-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsw View Post
but I found something else that did.
Don't leave us hanging.

What was it that you ended up using?
What was the final method that successfully read/ripped your problem DVD?

You never know when somebody else is having DVD reading problems, and needs the solution!

Thanks.
  04-27-2012, 02:43 AM

Verified Member

It was this. http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/