04-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
Hope this is the right area from this and i know it's kinda short notice but i seen where someone mentioned the show Cosby (not the Cosby Show) on the board the other day and wanted to let everyone who was interested know that there is a 4 episode marathon starting with the pilot ep airing on GMC according to the Directv guide starting at 5pm EST. Again sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

Thanks,
DWEN
  04-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I don't know that I've ever heard of "Cosby" before.

I've always liked Bill Cosby, but was never that fond of The Cosby Show. It always reminded me of All in The Family + Full House together, which I also didn't care for.

Is this one less hokey/campy?
  04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Verified Member

I never watched this series, it came after "the Cosby show" this was really short lived I think it kinda the same show minus the kids..he has the same wife anyway http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115144/ .
  04-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
Dwen: thank you for informing the community. However, it ran for 4 years, so I don't think it was very short lived. Also, Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad had one daughter on this show. Interestingly, Telma Hopkins was originally picked for Ruthie, but Bill wanted to recreate the magic of the Cosby Show, so Rashad got the part in the end. I think Rashad is a competent actress, but I like Telma more and would be interested to see how she would have played Ruthie.

Lordsmurf: Cosby was pulling in good ratings for CBS when it was on Monday nights. Then it got shipped off to Wednesdays, where that, coupled with the death of the delightful and hilarious Madeline Kahn, doomed the series, and it was gone shortly thereafter. I don't know why they moved it. I'm guessing because it didn't fit in with their "Fat guy with a hot thin wife" Monday night lineup (sorry for being politically incorrect there) that consisted of King of Queens, Yes Dear and Still Standing (Okay, Still Standing is a good show, I have that set. I think I have some original airings of that I recorded, but am not sure what I want to do with them. The set I have is Lifetime airings, and it's good).

I never did get much into The Cosby Show, although that is largely due to a lack of time. I've been meaning to check it out more. From what I've seen of it, it's a show that kids might enjoy, but adults = not so much. There are some enjoyable moments, but Cliff's father grates my nerves. On the other hand, Cosby is more adult-oriented and very funny. Bill Cosby + Madeline Kahn, well you have two of the greatest right there.

I didn't get GMC when they were airing it for the first time, but I did manage to trade for the 91 of 96 episodes they aired, through a combination of sources: Joker and Konfusion, and possibly somebody else. They did an excellent job as usual with it. I now get GMC.
  04-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Verified Member

Thanks Wise for the info, as I mentioned I never watched the show ore knew anything about it...just remember it be mentioned in here recently, for all I know it may be out on DVD..lol just trying to help out some tapers. Hopefully for those looking GMC will air the entire run eventually. I must not have been much of a TV watcher back then since I was playing on the road a lot, I didn't discover King of Queens or Yes Dear till after they had ended and hit syndication on TBS. So if Cosby ran during that time frame that explains why I never seen it. I may catch it on GMC and give it a whirl in my land of syndication line ups .
  04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182 View Post
Cliff's father
... aka the voice of Panthro from the 1980s run of Thundercats.