Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

04-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I never thought I would see this hit retail

Ghost Story aka Circle of Fear: The Complete First Season
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B007Q0JJD6

Quote:
Horror movie maestro William Castle (The Tingler) followed his role model Alfred Hitchcock into TV with this anthology series of suspense and shudders, though he ceded the hosting chores to Sebastian Cabot (TV's "Family Affair") as "Winston Essex" for the first part of the series. A mid- season name change (to "Circle of Fear") and a no-host format were intended to boost ratings, but this quirky, chilling and fascinating series only lasted one season. All 23 hour-long episodes are included with outstanding guest stars like Jason Robards, Helen Hayes, Melvyn Douglas, Gena Rowlands, Jodie Foster, Angie Dickinson, Geraldine Page, Patricia Neal, Martin Sheen, Stella Stevens, Karen Black, Rip Torn, Carolyn Jones, Mariette Hartley, William Windom and many, many more, this is a must-have for lovers of thrillers and classic television alike! Newly remastered.
  04-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I remember transferring old VHS recordings to DVD about 7-8 years ago. The quality was decent -- a solid B/B+ -- but a far cry from retail. For that reason, it's always been low on my to-watch list. I'll often convert something to DVD, just to ensure I have it archived, but won't watch it if it's sub-excellent quality. I always hold out for the official DVDs!

So on that note: Yay!
  05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Verified Member

I did notice tho, the manufactor information says dvdrs...that does seem to affect quality. It is also an on demand production..so i'll be curious. So far I have that and BOB pegged for retail release purchases..

Also, curious why it says complete FIRST season.it only ran ONE season...
  05-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageAmusement View Post
he manufactor information says dvdrs...that does seem to affect quality.
That's actually impossible.

Because DVD-Video is a digital video format, it would appear the same on both DVD-R (burned optical media) or DVD-ROM (pressed DVD media). It would further appear identical is stored as ISO, a VOB folder set, or extracted MPEG files on a hard drive. Or extracted/remuxed MPEG on Blu-ray. Neither the choice of storage media, or even the file-based storage (muxed into VOB, BDMV/BDAV, etc) would have any effect on quality.

Quote:
It is also an on demand production..so i'll be curious. So far I have that and BOB pegged for retail release purchases..
The only real downside to on-demand video sets, from the likes of the Warner Archives (wbshop.com), is that the menus are weak and the extras are non-existent. You'll get good quality episodes, nice screened DVD labels, and a a nice DVD case -- that's it. It's barebones. But I'd rather have barebones over nothing at all (or some super-duper crappy homemade set).

I have several of the Warner Archives sets, and I'm thrilled to even have some of this stuff. Shows I'd wanted for 10+ years now exist on DVDs. Previously, some of these things weren't even available amongst the homemade bootleg collections you find from diehard fans.

I try to buy everything from Amazon.com
  05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Verified Member

I agree, I would rather have that - then a homemade set- But sometimes the on demand take far longer for continued series, if at all. However on demand sets seem to be picking up for one hit/one season shows. Bob, Circle of Fear, I was told possibly Black''s Magic and the Magician might come out this year..fingers crossed
As long as it is in good quality, unlike some of the MIllhouse sets- I am happy. artwork looks nice, but ultimately I see it once..
however the extras, footage, behind the scenes and commentary is always very nice too...
One of the reasons I am looking foward to the Night Gallery Season 3, suposedly has quite a bit..