Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to pass this along, I was tracking some packages tonight through USPS and they had this posted on their homepage about a virus email scam...thought it might be a good piece of info for some. This is direct link to the PDF statement out out by the postal service taken from the usps.com website.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/r.../SpamAlert.pdf
  05-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
That kind of spam has been around for years. And not for just USPS, but UPS, Fedex, DHL, and several other carriers.
Lately I've seen fake Amazon cancellations more than anything else.

Never open attachments claiming to be from carriers, banks, or large merchants (Walmart, Amazon, etc).
They don't send attachments. In fact, most of them don't even send non-automated emails.
  05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Verified Member

Yeah I have seen this a few time before too, but I am also getting the Amazon order cancellation emails, ironically within 24 hours of placing order on Amazon(which did arrive ok).....just found it odd how they didn't start hitting my inbox until after I placed a order.
  05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I've been getting the fake Amazon cancellations for several weeks now.
But the last time I placed an Amazon order was back in March. So there's no correlation there. Just coincidental timing.
  05-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Verified Member

Well that's good to know it's coincidental, I scan my PC often for spyware,malaware and such 3 to 4 times a week. So I know it's good there, I sure most of us in here no enough not to click or open anything emails wise from anyone you don't know, I have been trying to teach my mother in law this since Windows 95 but she will click and open anything then forward. I could make 2 or 3 mortgage payments a year if i charged for everytime I have had to fix her PC from a virus attack. And the scary part is ...she just discovered facebook within the past year, I expect a repair call soon..LOL!