Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Hello: I am trying to find the name of a movie. Picture this if you can: World War II, North Africa, 4 or 5 British guys (as I recall) trying to get through the desert in a big old truck. They get to a large sand dune at one point and can't get up it. One guy says that it will go up easier in reverse. Something to do with the gears. So they ll push the thing up a huge dune & when they get to the top, they are so exhausted, the guy on the hand brake forgets and it rolls back down the dune. They then push it all the way up again. The name of the movie is ...?
I love the old world war II films so any recommendations would be appreciated. Dam Busters, 633 Squadron, Guns of Navarrone. Anything like that. Great stuff. Thanks awfully.
  05-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
A Walk in the Sun has always been one of my favorites.

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038235/
- http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...as%3Dmovies-tv

I have one of the earlier DVD releases, from 2002 or earlier. The last time I watched it was 2002. It's a straight drama/realism flick. It's a lot like a WWII version of the Vietnam-era flick We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson (released in 2002).

The comedy The Devil with Hitler is another. I hunted for that movie for almost a decade. A friend on this site recorded it for me from TCM about two years ago, so I now have a copy. It's unreleased officially. I swear it plays on TCM/AMC once every decade.

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034651/

I have a lot of WWII era books and films, but most of it is non-fiction. Few fictional tales are able to carry the grit and realism (or adequately poke fun at it) as these two do.

I have a lot of old-time radio clips from WWII, too.
  05-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Verified Member

Well thank you very much for that. And so quick too. I didn't know if anybody would know. I will try to get it. If you'd like to trade, I can send my list. I have never heard of 'The Devil with Hitler'. So many films to see and so little time. Thank you again. James
  05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Well, those were just my suggestions for good WWII movie. I don't believe A Walk in the Sun has the scene you're after. I don't recall that scene in anything to date. I will be calling a family member tonight, however, and there's a good chance she knows -- she's a movie fan (whereas I'm mostly a TV/cartoon fan).
  05-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Verified Member

You are right. I checked on youtube and 'A walk in the Sun' isn't the North Africa flick I was after.
However, if you are a toon fan, perhaps you know of a Pinky and the Brain episode that is (for me) difficult to find. I thought getting the entire set meant getting all of Pinky & the Brain but alas, I still do not have the Christmas episode with the Noodle-Noggin doll (I think it was called). Are you familiar with that episode?
  06-05-2012, 10:19 PM

Here is one possible movie... they push an ambulance up a sand dune. It's British, not American made.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000E33C12

There is a book by Howard Hughes called "When Eagles Dared" about WW2 movies. There is another desert movie called "Tobruk", which might be the movie you're looking for.
  06-06-2012, 04:10 AM

Verified Member

That MUST be it! I'm sure it is. I do remember it as British and made in the 50s. Perfect. Now to begin a new search. Thank you very much for your help. Very kind of you. They just don't make movies this way anymore.
The following users thank James Langford for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-06-2012)
  06-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 50 posts since Nov 2009
"Sahara" 1943 w/ H. Bogart is an old favorite of mine, about a tank in the desert. Of course, no one can push a tank up a hill :-).
  06-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Verified Member

Thanks for that. It is a favorite of mine as well, so I have it already but now I have to track down a trade for Ice Cold in Alex. It was a good representation of Brit movies in North Africa for the period. Thanks again.