Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
Most of everyone here grew up watching their favorite cartoons on Saturday mornings and honestly, back in the 80's it was very hard to get away from the TV with all the great shows back then.

So, i found a website that lists out the Saturday Morning TV Schedule from the 80's...and all i can say is....I Miss those times.

What happened to the great Saturday Morning Lineups?

Check out the schedule here:
http://www.inthe80s.com/saturdays.shtml
  05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmehta2 View Post
and all i can say is....I Miss those times.
I sometimes wish I could go to sleep and wake up in the 80s or 90s.
But with all current knowledge, of course...
  05-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
It was ridiculous in those days. I used to go to sleep early on Friday night's so I could wake up early for the cartoons on Saturday mornings. I pretty much did nothing but that for my early years.

Between that and the mid to late 80s of wrestling shows that was on I almost never left the house on the weekends.

Major social life killer but I didn't mind ; )
  05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
haha...i was a wrestling fanatic back in those days too. There was always something for everybody back in those days.

LS...lol, i want that same premise you set up in the above post, but with a DVR. haha.
  05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
A box of cereal and I, were in front of the tv saturday morning at..7? am...I think...all the way through OH readmoores (sp?) saturday afternoon specials....things like the Red Room Riddle, and Soup and me..and other 'classic' books to tv...
I remember being excited about cartoons starting about Thursday and the days my mom scheduled a dental apt or errands, I was miffed all day.
I specifically remember KIDD video...as I got older, I still watched the cartoons...butt he early line up with smurfs, and pac man, frogger....were the best. Only to be beaten by the holidays...the Christmas line ups..were almost as good. Garfield special, looney toons specials...smurfs specials....etc.
  05-28-2012, 01:19 PM

I have a couple of episodes of Red Room Riddle, I believe.
Several were officially released, and you can find them on interlibrary loan programs.
  05-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 332 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to hordeprime
I watched CBS Saturday morning a lot. Muppet Babies, Garfield and Friends, Ninja Turtles...those were the days.
  06-29-2012, 04:12 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Perhaps the 80s were a good time for toons but perhaps it is related more to your age. For myself, the 50s & 60s were the best time for toons. EVERY Saturday was a blast to wake up to. Q. T. Hush, Deputy Dawg, Promo the robot, Ruff & Ready, all kinds of choices. You may think the 80s were good but I believe the toons and cartooning peaked in the 50s & 60s.
  06-29-2012, 06:09 AM

Indeed, many excellent toons came out of MGM, Hanna-Barbera and Depatie-Freleng in the 60s and 70s. The 1980s airwaves were full of reruns of Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo and others. In fact, the rebroadcast in the 80s was still so popular that it gave second life to many of them well into the 90s. Another season of The Jetsons, for example, and the various "kids" versions of the HB and MGM shows. And the spinoff-like series that launched Kids WB in the mid 90s (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, etc).

I remember getting up to watch Smurfs, Spiderman & His Amazing Friends, and The Bugs & Daffy Show. There were also some more obscure toons like Foofur. Most of what I remember about the 80s were weekday morning toons (Thundercats, Silverhawks, Alvin & the Chipmunks) and weekday afternoon cartoons (He-Man, JEM, Transformers, Robotech).

While the Disney ABC shows, Garfield and TMNT technically started in the 80s, I always consider those 90s cartoons.

I watched a ton of old Looney Tunes on TBS, and Hanna-Barbera shows on USA Cartoon Express. Weekday afternoons were also when I remember seeing the 1975 Tom & Jerry reruns.

What use to really irritate me is that cartoons continued well after I had to be in school, and were on before school really let out. That's why I never saw much of certain shows. I think adults running the networks still considered cartoons to be for very young kids, and not those younger demographics who were into junior high, high school or college. I liked nothing more than to come home and zone out with Cartoon Network after staring at trig graphs or boring novels in class.