Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
It never ceases to amaze me, when i go to my friends house she is watching the Nanny.. I can not STAND that show, specifically because of Fran Drescher..

There have been a few characters along the way..> Sondra, from 227...

Kimmy Gibler from Full House.

Simon Cowell, from anything I see him on...

Anyone else, just can't stand a certain actor/actress/tv personality?
  05-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
I thought Kimmy Gibbler was okay, it was Michelle whom I hate. I had a somewhat similar thread called "who are the worst 'good guys' in movies and tv" and Michelle Tanner was on it. Love Sondra.

My pick would be Ross from Friends. I never watched this show when it was first on. I tried to get into the reruns, but Ross just turned me off from the whole series. I find him to be whiny and irritating as hell. I don't know how anyone can put up with him, and he's not the least bit attractive.
  05-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Aside from ALL reality TV shows...

- The Nanny, due to Fran Drescher, also tops my list as annoying.
- Bob Newhart is another actor that I simply cannot force myself to suffer through.

Most live-action shows that I dislike are from the 1970s and early 1980s. Something about the era had writers filling casts with obnoxious caricatures, instead of quality characters.

Some shows were simply awful, I thought:
- The Cosby Show
- Full House
- Silver Spoons
- Charles in Charge
- Who's the Boss?
- Growing Pains
- Facts of Life

On those shows, it was no one character, but most/all of them. They were so fake, often so goodie-goodie, that I wanted to puke.

Some of it, I think, was influenced by the actors -- not just the characters. Kirk Cameron, for example, is a complete ******bag in real life (a bigoted religious zealot). There's a lot of actors and actresses on those shows that turned out to be weird (possibly excluding the Cosby Show), and I think it shows in their portrayals of the characters. Thespians leave their mark on characters just as much as the characters fill their resumes.

It really comes as no surprise that I watched so many cartoons in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s, even though I was often told that I was "too old" to be watching "kid's stuff". As far as I was concerned, the alternative was far more unrealistic. Only in the past 10 years have I started to watch more current live-action shows. Prior to about 2003, everything I liked that was non-animated was from the 1950s-1960s.

Great topic.
  05-23-2012, 03:11 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
The huge problem I have with Kirk Cameron is that he forced his opinions down the throats of everyone that worked on Growing Pains, to the point that even mildly "offensive" jokes were removed at his request. I don't believe in censoring, nor do I believe it's an actor's place to have influence over a script. I think it's telling that most of his coworkers have come forward about what a pain in the *** he is, and that his comments were shunned by most of the people that work in his industry, both child and adult stars. I know he was some kind of teenage heartthrob, but I never understood it. I find him to be hideously ugly and his hairstyle was ridiculous. His comments about homosexuality are deplorable, but said comments are pretty typical from people of his kind, and it's not like he's been relevant in the last 20 years anyways. If Kirk was disgusted by Growing Pains, he must be downright appalled at what's being shown today.
  05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Yah and for all those shows that showed such wholesome good girls and boys...that generation of youths is doing..oh so well.

That being said, this generation, with "Jersey Shore" and Fear Factor, and 16 and pregnant, I didn't know I was pregnant, Tiny and Toya, Bad Girls Club...can't wait to see the outcome....groan
  11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 165 posts since Feb 2010
Mercy sakes. I just tripped over this six month old thread and the first think I see is Kim and Kevin talking about hating The Nanny because of Fran Drescher. I *LOVE* Fran Drescher, and this show! In fact, I'd like to have a set. Anyone? Meanwhile, Kim, Kevin, I think we may have to go in for blood tests. After this, I don't think you could really be my mommy and daddy.