Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I went to Walgreens today, to see if they had a flint ---for my lighter..

girl looked at me ten times...
I described it.....again clueless...
Finally she says "let me ask one of the old employees here"

Whimper.

LAST week, I went to Walmart to look for a HEAD CLEANER for a VCR a I am still transferring some vhs to dvd...
Again, same cocked head look--
came back with a laser cleaner, a disc cleaner...couldn't understand what a HEAD cleaner was...

So okay, I am officially old.
  05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
I have a good story for ya . I went FYI to purchase Black Veil Brides new CD. The little jerk behind the counter looks at me and says," Hey that's my generation music." I wont repeat what this little old lady had to say on the matter.... lol
  05-23-2012, 04:04 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
I wouldn't worry too much about it Kim, you're still young. Perhaps by "old" she just meant one of the people that had been working there a long time.

My first job was a supermarket cashier right out of high school. I was promoted after a few weeks to other things, including the service desk, but still had to cashier occasionally. There were some things that came through my line I'd never seen before. Mainly, really odd-ball fruits and vegetables. Those were they worst, because you couldn't scan those, and some of them wouldn't have the little stickers on them with the PLU codes, so you had to look them up. Though I was pretty fast as a cashier, that was the one thing that tripped me up on occasion. I was thinking about this the other day, I do have an excellent memory and can still remember a lot of the codes, even though I haven't worked that job in more than a decade. Plums were 4040 I remember that. Well I could go on for a while.
  05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Cashiers are about 50/50 in my experience. Half are normal folks, relative intelligence, common sense, etc. The other half appear to have smoke away their brains, possibly snorted it away. Some have the job for noble reasons (good old-fashioned blue collar American!), some have it simply because they lack intelligence to do anything else.

I think your girl fell into the latter category: dumb, possibly perma-stoned.

I wouldn't think too much of it.

You shouldn't use a head cleaner anyway. Read this:

Quote:
WARNING: Make sure you have all the proper screwdriver(s), chamois, cleaning solution, etc... before starting this process. DO NOT USE Q-TIPS.
  1. Eject any tape from the VCR and unplug it from wall current.
  2. Unplug any other cables from VCR (Cable, Antenna, Audio/Video Cables, etc..).
  3. Place VCR on flat surface, such as a table covered with newspaper or cloth to protect table surface.
  4. With the appropriate screwdriver, remove VCR cover carefully.
  5. You will see a shiny round drum--this is the Head Drum. Take an isopropyl alcohol-dipped chamois tipped cleaning stick and place it on the Head Drum with light pressure.
  6. Manually rotate Head Drum with your free hand (it spins freely), keeping chamois stick stationary, allowing fluid to clean the drum (Never move the chamois stick in the vertical direction-you may snap off Head protrusions on the drum).
  7. With fresh chamois tips and alcohol, now clean the Stationary audio head, capstans, rollers, and gears. Check for dust. Do not get excessive fluid on any parts.
  8. Clean Belts and Pulleys using fresh chamois tips, once again, do not use excessive fluid.
  9. Clean dust off Circuit Boards using a mini-vacuum cleaner and/or compressed air (Use just enough force to remove the dust and dirt).
  10. Let machine site a few minutes after finishing above process.
  11. With the VCR still open, plug into wall and TV, turn on VCR and insert a recorded tape. (Do not touch any of the interior workings of the VCR or interior metal cabinet during this process).
  12. Press Play on VCR and confirm that everything is functioning correctly and picture and sound is restored.
  13. Repeat steps 1-10 if results are not satisfactory.
  14. Eject tape, Unplug VCR from wall, uplug all cables.
  15. Screw VCR cover back on and place back in original location with proper hookups.
In addition to a chamois swab, DSLR sensor swabs work well. Both are available cheaply from Amazon.com
  05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp32 View Post
Black Veil Brides new CD
WTF is that?

Hanson goes goth?

Those look like the love children of Steven Tyler breeding with Gene Simmons.
I can't tell if those are dudes or chicks, or whether they're jailbait or older. Dudes (if any) look like ladies.

Name:  goth-hanson.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  98.0 KB

Thanks for the morning laugh CP32.