Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Do You Remember Your First?... Get your minds out of the gutter....

Do you remember your first trade? Or first set? or first show that you were seeking...
  05-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 211 posts since Dec 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to repeatshistory
First actual TRADE was with YOU, Savage! Remember WENN for The John Larroquette show I think...
  05-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
In the mid 1990s, I used to send episodes of then-unreleased cartoons to the managing editor of Wizard magazine (at their request), so they could create screen caps and watch episodes for articles. In return, they gave me goodie boxes, filled with various promo comics, actions figures, etc. Anybody here remember the golden age of Wizard magazine and ToyFare magazine? Before the internet totally screwed up my field, that was one of the places I wanted to end up.

I dealt with Matthew Senreich several times, who you may better known as the co-creator of Robot Chicken.

I also was in contact with folks like Jay Bacal, producer of various 1980s Hasbro shows like Transformers. The internet was a different place in the 1990s, and I often ran into individuals in newsgroups, or through other informal back channels. This was the era before eBay, web-based forums, etc. If I dig deep enough into old computer backups, there's even a slim chance I still have some of those emails.

If I could go back in time 15 years, and do it all over again, I'd capitalize better on some of those relationships.

__

One of the first tape-for-tape trades I ever did, in the mid 1990s, was with a liar/scammer. The "8/10" quality was completely unwatchable. I still have a few sample tapes of that set, top show how bad video can get. Ten years later, the cartoon was unofficially released in HK, followed by several incomplete official releases.

The show?
- Transformers Headmasters
- Transformers Masterforce
- Transformers Victory

The entire thing was in green and purple colors, with shaky quality video, and hissy audio.