Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

06-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
Another great Sci-fi legend lost http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/showbi...bit/index.html
  06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Very sad.

I remember Fahrenheit 451 was one of the few required-reading books that I enjoyed in high school. I may still have my book, on the shelf of books downstairs. You know -- the shelf everybody has to look smart to guests, even though you probably never read any of them, or hated reading them; Shakespeare, Dickens, etc.

It's a bit dirty, but I've always found the comedian Rachel Bloom's music video to be an amusing tribute to Ray Bradbury. From what I recall, he had seen/heard it, and found it amusing, though I can no longer find a direct quote from him online. Attached below is a photo from her Facebook profile, purported to be him viewing the video, when they finally met (after she'd made the video, obviously).

She's one of the writers on Robot Chicken. And she's rather attractive and funny in real life.

The video was nominated for a 2011 Hugo Award (a prestigious sci-fi/fantasy award) for Best Dramatic Short!!

Here's a news story from the time:
Quote:
Writer/comedian Rachel Bloom sent Ray Bradbury a very peppy, very public and very NSFW birthday message with her music video, “**** Me, Ray Bradbury,” which has been viewed more than 630,000 times on YouTube since it was posted last week. In an interview with a SeattlePI.com blog, she says she’d have a less-sexually charged message for the writer, who turns 90 Sunday, if she met him in person.

“I would say very earnestly that I am overwhelmed with how well he combines such mind-blowingly cool ideas with the realism of how humans deal with these ideas,” she told Booktryst. “That’s what struck me especially about Martian Chronicles or The Illustrated Man…. I found myself as emotionally engaged as I was mentally. If I really met him, I would be nothing but respectful and probably like the 12-year-old boy I secretly am inside.”

So, why does the 23-year-old Bloom find the legendary author of Fahrenheit 451 and other sci-fi classics so hot? “The No. 1 thing I am earnestly attracted to is intelligence,” she said. “Writers are thus the pinnacle of intelligence. While actors are great and awesome, writers literally create new worlds from scratch. What is sexier than that? Personally, I don’t know why every person out there isn’t dating a writer.”

Bloom tweeted a photo purportedly showing Bradbury watching the video this weekend. Find out more about the making of her Glee-style tribute in Booktryst’s interview, “The Girl Who (NSFW) Loves Ray Bradbury.” And watch what is probably the first of many lame literary crush-song pretenders below: “**** Me, Anne Rice.”
She has a number of good videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/racheldoesstuff

I rather like her rip on Disney's The Little Mermaid: I Was a Mermaid and Now I'm a Pop Star. It starts out with a really good homage to The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and then breaks into a funny auto-tune pop synth satire (in the style of Katy Perry) mixed with more chick rap jabbing Disney.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RayBradbury-watching.jpg (67.4 KB, 110 views)