Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

06-13-2012, 05:17 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Hello: I have youtube videos I want to load to discs. I also have torrents (cartoons & movies) I want to move to discs that are FLV. files. But I don't know how. I have Nero Start Smart that has always worked well for me ... until now.
I imagine this is a simple procedure and I'm pretty simple but haven't figured it out yet. Can anyone assist me please.
Thank you for your time
  06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
change flv to something else.

get flvextract to get the files inside and then convert to mp4 with my mp4Box gui and then should be easier to convert that to something else.
  06-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Verified Member

This is ALL new to me. It wasn't all that long ago that I learned to burn with Nero but I enjoy learning so I'll follow your advice and give it a shot. Thank you for taking the time to assist a novice. That was very kind of you.
  06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Remember that "FLV" is just a container like MP4, MKV or AVI. In general, FLV contains with On2 VP6 or H.264, the latter of which looks better and is easier to work with. The H.264 FLV files can sometimes be renamed to .MP4, but it's best to actually demux the AAC audio and H.264 video with FLVExtract. And then remux them as a true MP4 using YAMB.

If you want to physically convert FLV to another format, use Avidemux for the entire process. It can read the FLV, and then save as another format. The MPEG-2 conversion is decent, and the x264 is okay. You may want to stick with default settings on x264, tweak the MPEG-2 to ideal frame size (pad if needed) and bitrates.

It would sort of help to know what your goal is.
- DVD?
- MP4 or AVI files for a media box?
  06-14-2012, 08:41 AM

Verified Member

Wow! To a novice a lot of this is Greek but I think I can almost understand some of this. I'll go through it again slowly but I can definitely say that DVD is my preferred goal. Having said that, just getting these shows off my PC and on to a watchable disc is my primary goal.
It looks, from what you tell me, that I may have to start downloading programs to do all this but which ones, if any?
So far I have got hold of torrents with The Roadrunner, Duck Dodgers and the old war movie 'Ice Cold in Alex'. I'd love to save this stuff and offer it up for trades.
  06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
I find that most times I use a file converter program, the converted video is either degraded or the audio is out of sync.

There are also other problems that you will encounter when making a dvd such as not having all your videos the same frames per second and the same video resolution.

I like using a program called dvdflick. It's perfect for converting avi files to mpg/dvd format. I'm not sure if it converts flv formats though. Keep in mind that this program is very slow. A 20 minute show will take 20 minutes to convert.

For youtube videos I use a firefox plug in that lets you download youtube videos. Instead of converting to flv format, it converts the videos to mp4 format, which is more compatible.

I convert youtube files by putting all my mp4 files on a thumb drive putting that drive on a media player which I have connected to a dvd recorder. When you record like this, you avoid all those possible errors when converting on your computer.
  06-15-2012, 03:40 AM

Verified Member

I will check out DVDFlick. I have the time. I don't know what you mean by a "plug-in" but I'll research it and MP4. A thumb drive? Is that one of those little 'keys' or flash drives? I have those. Thank you for your input. This is going to be a bit of a challenge.
  06-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langford View Post
I will check out DVDFlick. I have the time. I don't know what you mean by a "plug-in" but I'll research it and MP4. A thumb drive? Is that one of those little 'keys' or flash drives? I have those. Thank you for your input. This is going to be a bit of a challenge.
My mistake. It's actually an add-on called easy youtube video downloader 5.9.

Open up the firefox web browser, click tools, add-ons, get add-ons and search for "easy youtube video downloader".

Once you download it, go to youtube and select a video. You should see a download button right under it. Select the mp4 format. Yes thumb drives are the same as flash drives, keys, usb drives etc.
  06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
youtube quality usually sucks unless its hd. if u must have youtube downloads just use jdownloader and copy the url and it will automatically load then choose which file u want to download
  06-19-2012, 05:16 AM

Verified Member

I feel bad. You have all been very helpful but I am still having difficulties. The advice so far, while helpful, was beyond me. I don't have Firefox and stuff or I don't understand the directions given. HOWEVER, I somehow ended up downloading DVDFlick and what do you know, Success! Well, sort of.
I tried burning with it for the 1st time and it worked. I managed to burn a BBC series from my hard drive that I had been unable to burn to disc in the past. So I tried again a number of times and no success. I can get ALL of the prep work done as the program loads all of the pertinent data onto my pc but when finished, I cannot find the darn 'BURN TO DISC' button in DVDFlick. Everything else is done and ready to go. It is so frustrating. HELP!!!
  06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Verified Member

Firefox is a free search engine. Try it.

For DVDFlick, the burn to disc feature is under the project settings. Check either burn to disc or create iso image to burn with a dvd burning program. If none are checked, then it will send the files to the dvdflick folder, which you can then copy and paste over to a burning program to make the dvd. You can also create a disc label there.
  06-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Verified Member

Thank you soooo much. I will follow your direction to the letter and let you know how I make out. This kind of stuff seems so simple ONCE WE KNOW HOW. Until then, it can be rather frustrating. It's the kindness of people like you that help sooo much to aleviate that frustration. The kicker is, I love to learn how to get the most out of my PC. Thank you again.
  06-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Verified Member

Sure no problem.
  06-20-2012, 06:49 AM

Verified Member

Success! And Failure. A bit of both actually. I followed exactly what you advised and still, the result was a dead end (it seemed). I think the only thing I actually did different was create an ISO (whatever that is. More importantly, what does an ISO do and why is it necessary?).
The end result is that I gave up. Your instructions were so clear and still, I couldn't prompt a mechanism to actually burn even though all of the preliminary steps seemed to have been done. So I went back to my stack of things to burn that did not present any difficulties, loaded one into dvd shrink and processed it so that it was ready to burn (I only have the one drive so I load it into my pc and then afterward, extract it onto disc when burning. So anyway, now that the movie is in my PC and I'm ready to burn it with Nero, I load in an empty disc and wait for the Nero window that asks if I'd like to burn a disc. But to my surprise, I am prompted to burn through IMGBurn. So I figure, go ahead. I click yes and up pops my choices for sources and to my delight, they are the movies I could not access previously in DVDFlick! So I abandon the movie I intended to burn through Nero and take this opportunity to burn any one of the movies I had previously been unable to burn in Nero, using IMGBurn. Sure enough, it burns in the usual 13 minutes it usually takes in Nero and I have now got the video (cartoons actually) that I had never been able to burn before. Great stuff. Yes and no. I still don't know how I did it. To my knowledge, the only thing I altered was adding an ISO image. Simple enough. But it still leaves a hurdle I am unable to cross when I try to burn.
In short, I have now successfully burnt two movies that I had never been able to burn before. I may even be fortunate enough to find success again but I still don't know how I am doing it or what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps this detailed description of my experience will clarify what I am missing or where my error is.
Regardless, YOU got me this far davidflecha17 and I thank you for it. Of course, this does not mean I don't appreciate the help others were kind enough to offer. It was just that your instruction recognized my poor level of ability, I guess. Anyway, thank you all. I'll just keep plugging away. If I did it twice, I'm sure I'll figure this out somehow. It's frustrating but it sure is fun to learn.
  06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Verified Member

An iso is the image of the dvd. Once you burn an iso to a disc, you will have a dvd.

You don't have to burn on DVD Flick. I don't think I have. As long as you have the iso image or the video_ts and audio_ts folders you can burn those on a disc using nero, dvd decryptor or another burning program. Hardly ever is there a program that does everything right. There is a lot of trial and error in collecting shows. Just do whatever works best for you.
  06-21-2012, 04:12 AM

Verified Member

Good morning: I was hoping so much to hear back from you. This new information is precisely what I need to know. It helps me understand why things work as they do and simultaneously tells me what I'm doing wrong or right. Thank you so much. I will try again today and perhaps this time, I'll have a little better success ... thanks to your kindness.
  06-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Verified Member

Sure that's what were here for. Helping tv show collectors and keeping the hobby alive.
  06-22-2012, 04:09 AM

Verified Member

SUCCESS! I got it now! I just needed a little direction and I knew that was all. My trade list should increase accordingly, now. With all sincerity, thank you.