06-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
I'm posting this for my daughter...this issue is totally out of my realm but I know we have several techies here that know what she's talking about and can probably help her out. This is the info she gave me...

Bought and installed a Wacom Intuos5 tablet
Used the disc that came with the tablet to install it
After it was installed opened Photoshop
Photoshop started to load but never made it past the loading window
Got a message saying "Adobe Photoshop CS3 has stopped working. Windows is collecting more information about the problem."
Exited out of that, waited a few minutes and tried again. Got the same message.
Restarted computer and tried again, same message.
Opened Gimp
Gimp started to load by never made it past the loading window
Got a message same as before "Gimp has stopped working. Windows is collecting more information about the problem."
Uninstalled the tablet and tried Photoshop again and got the same message
Went to Wacom's website and downloaded the driver for it
Reinstalled it and defragged the computer
Photoshop WORKED! It opened and I was able to use it for about a day
Stopped working again
Practically gutted laptop --no pictures, no music, no videos, hardly any documents, unneeded programs removed
Tried to defrag again but there's nothing that needs to be defragged.
Am able to use tablet on Microsoft Paint (but Paint doesn't offer hardly anything to do)
Downloaded a program called Paint.net
Paint.net will work but is basically a glorified version of Microsoft Paint --can do a bit more with it but pressure sensitivity on pen won't work.
Tried doing a system restore point, didn't help
Tried a couple other drawing/painting programs and all got the same message as Photoshop and Gimp
Went in through "Safe Mode" and all of the programs work and open and can be used
...pen tablet can't be used in "Safe Mode"
Exit "Safe Mode" and pen can be used but programs won't open.

Any ideas?
  06-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 52 posts since Nov 2009
Two Thoughts. Are you running a updated OS? Do you have enough processor speed or memory to run the apps with other things running in the background?
The following users thank vidaddicted for this useful post: grillgoil43 (06-25-2012)
  06-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Verified Member

Sorry it took so long to respond! I've done several Windows updates (Windows 7...there is one update that refuses to download but we're working on that problem), however, I'm not sure where to find the information for the processor speed or memory.

Though, I do have to say, a few days ago I went and uninstalled the tablet and went back to Wacom's website to see if they'd posted an updated driver for download. They had so I went ahead and downloaded it, as well as downloaded the updated version of Gimp. Gimp actually opened and worked after installing the updated driver so I tried Photoshop and just like Gimp, it actually opened and worked. Of course, I made the mistake of closing it again and when I went to reopen it I got that same error message as before again. I waited awhile, a few hours or so, and tried again and it started right up...haven't had a problem with it since. So, not sure if it was just the old driver that was causing a fuss with things or what...but, it does seem to be working and behaving now.

Thank you, though! If it starts acting up again, I'll find the processor info/memory info and see if that has something to do with it.
  06-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Verified Member

**just a little note about the previous post... To those who know me, that may have sounded a little too computer savvy to have been me. You're right...it was actually my daughter. I understood a little of what was said... **

Thanks to vidaddicted from Mom, too!
  06-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grillgoil43 View Post
not sure if it was just the old driver that was causing a fuss with things or what
This is very likely.

Drivers are usually NOT the problem with most devices. However, in the case of tablets -- Drawing tablets, that is! We have to be specific now, in the era of iPads, Nooks, Kindles, etc! -- drivers are a common snafu.

I remember having driver issues on Wacom tablets back with Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME and XP.

Always be careful about installing drivers. Never install a driver from anywhere other than the original manufacturer's site. Or a trustworthy archive site. Watch out for all those crappy fake "driver download" websites that install adware (and even malware!) on your computer. If you ever doubt the validity of a site, ask somebody. In fact, come here and post a question if needed. Several of us are very web-savvy.

Glad to hear it's been isolated and solved.
  07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Verified Member

Vidaddicted and Lordsmurf --Thank you both for your help. Since I updated the driver, it has been working like a charm and I'm back to having fun for hours a day again.

Lordsmurf: I did in fact download the driver from Wacom's official website and try to stay away from other sites that claim to have drivers to download.

Thanks again!

~"The Daughter"