Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I saw:
- part of a rowing event while waiting at Subway.
- part of a track event when the USA female was tripped and fell, and did not complete the race.
- some of the men running, and the final men swimming, at a neighbor's house.

What I'll most remember about the 2012 Olympics, however, is this:

Nice.

... and technically, I don't even think that was the "Olympics" but another event in nearby Barcelona.
  08-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
I watched some of the events. But quickly got bored. So I usually just waited til the late night highlights.

Netflix and Hulu plus was my friend during all of that two week period.
  08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
did not see one iota of it - despite being right here in london! all those sports in the olympics are not my cup of tea, so couldn't be bothered to watch any of it.

the other unfortunate side of things is the £6B public money that went into it at a time when we are in a deep recession and are bankrupt to the nth degree.

hopefully, the stadia and facilities don't get into disrepair and decay like most (all?) other previous olympics - even the last one at athens, the stadium is decaying, graffitied, filled with litter etc.

that's a hell of a price to pay for 2 weeks of "fun" and without a jot to show for it afterwards.
  08-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
there was a lot of publicity in the US media about how the olympics "renovated" certain parts of Britain. Granted it was 5 minutes of fluff and the next 30 minutes were talking about either the Dream Team, the 7 american gymnasts or something else american.

Even living in the U.S I got a little bit irritated at the pushing of the american athletes. I really wanted to see the U.S Basketball lose one of the games in the Round robin portion.
  08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
i'm not sure what gives the government the authority to use public money - ie people's tax money - in this manner. the Labour Party did not have such a pledge in their manifesto prior to bidding for the games. they did not give the people a vote on the matter. so what gave them the right to spend (waste?) the british people's money like this? it is outright theft in my opinion.

as for positives... like businesses oppportunities from this project, a sporting legacy etc... hmm, personally don't think it'll make any significant difference, but lets just hope something good comes out of it.
  08-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
manthing raises a really good point. At this point in our economy, all of the nations....it just seems....wrong.
Not celebrating feats of amazing abilities- not the support of many nations. But the sheer cost, isn't lost .
  08-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Mitt Romney -- organizer of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games in 2002 -- has recently been getting some well-deserved flack for his money-wasting days in SLC. Not because of anything he did unusual, but simply for the fact that he seems to also support the notion that sports industries should be levied on the backs of common folks via taxes.

That doesn't benefit me at all.

To this day, I find it utterly revolting that sports teams -- millionaire players on teams owned by billionaires -- have to force local municipalities to pay taxes to fund the building of new team stadiums. I'd rather not have a team. The old "it's only a penny" argument doesn't hold up, either. I'd much rather send a penny to fund NASA and space exploration. I grew up with awe and wonder about space -- not caring about the stats of the fullback or quarterback.

I certainly don't give a crap about pole vaulting, running, swimming, or curling.
  09-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I saw part of it getting a drink with my band members and a little at home. Saw the American girl beat the worlds record at the back stroke though. That was pretty cool.
  09-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
I believe it was the first Sunday, I had it on most of the day...I was hoping to get a chance to see a friend's son wrestle. I guess it must have been on during the time I fell asleep waiting...