Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

08-23-2012, 11:31 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/2...ael-j-fox.html

Not sure how I feel about this. Where he is an excellent comedian, and Parkinson's disease is something that should be brought into the forefront, just not sure how this will play out. With the seemingly endless need for comedies today to have 75% sex jokes (and it's the same stupid sex jokes) I can see where this could go downhill pretty quickly.

But then, if they can give another sitcome to Captain 'winning' then why not.
  08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
MJF plays a much better a-hole than he does a comedian. I hope this doesn't mean he'll no longer be making appearances in The Good Wife, where he's been a perfect foil for Alicia.

I never knew he could be so slimy -- and he does it so well.
  08-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
I just started watching season two of Sons of Anarchy and Alan Arkin is my new hero for being just a completely malevolent SOB.

MJF is one of those actors that plays the A-hole that we like. Started with his Alex P Keaton character and even his part on Scrubs. I can't seem to get into The Good Wife, little too sappy for my taste.

I'm more curious if he can keep up with a series physically. He does a lot of touring to raise awareness for Parkinson's and that is rough on a body with the disease. 8 hr shooting can't make everything feel good either.
  08-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The Good Wife is admittedly more soap opera than anything else. Over the years, I've somehow become interested in the modern day primetime soap operas, be it The Secret Life of the American Teenager, The Good Wife, or Dallas. I think MJF fits in good as a modern soap star. He has a natural character to him that doesn't even need to be acted out.

I never really considered Alex P. Keaton to be a ruthless-but-lovable butthead. He was just the crooked-leaning comedy foil, like so many other characters. I'd compare him to Barney from How I Met Your Mother, in that regard. At most, you shake your head and roll your eyes, but you never truly find him unlikeable like you would a true TV a-hole.

I've heard MJF speak abut Parkinson's before. He'd rather keep going than stop, for fear that he can't start again. Or something along those lines. He doesn't really do a lot of interviews anymore. I was really happy when he spoke up about the benefits and science of stem cell research back in 2008, to oppose the crock-science right-wing crowd.