08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I have an old Windows 95 computer that I thought would be cool to hook up to a TV. Does anyone know of any good cable that you can hook up to a TV from a computer? Since it's a Windows 95 computer, s-video isn't an option. I've seen cables like this on eBay but the description says that it won't work on a TV. The main reason I want to do this is to create a video game walkthrough of a Windows 95 game. Emulation is not an option for this game.
  08-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
Might be easier to pick up a TV tuner card for it and then let it rip from there. It will save you the headache of trying to find a specific type of cable.

Shouldn't cost you more than 10-15 bucks for the cable itself if even that. Will give you a lot more flexibility to what you can do with the TV.
  08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Verified Member

Great, Thanks! Now if I could only get the computer to turn on. I checked all the connections and everything looks good. I hope the power supply isn't dead. I haven't used that computer in quite a while.
  08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Computers don't output NTSC or PAL video, which televisions need. Computers output VGA video, so there's no way to directly output a computer to anything other than a monitor designed for VGA.

The only solution is to either
(1) buy a pricy VGA>composite/svideo adapter, or
(2) find a way to make the computer output normal NTSC/PAL video -- i.e., a VIVO (video in, video out) card, which includes many (though NOT all!) capture cards

Your main issue will be with Windows 95. Most hardware is going to want Windows XP, as that is the Windows generation when VIVO really hit its stride. Anything prior to XP is very hit-or-miss, and generally even those require Windows 98 or Windows 2000. I was involved with digital video way, way, way back in the 1990s -- ancient, in digital video terms -- and there was almost nothing to work with back then. And what did work was found on something like SGI/Solaris, or Mac OS8, not Windows 95.
  08-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Verified Member

I was afraid that I might not be able to get this to work. I haven't been able to get this game to work on an XP computer and now I have Windows 7. It's a Windows 95 game that I discovered a few years ago and I want to be able to play it and make a walkthrough video of it to post on YouTube. I also want to play another 95 game but I'm not recording a video for it since there's already a video of it on YouTube. I've seen walkthrough videos of a Windows 95 game and it makes me wonder how they did it. It would be nice to find an emulator that would allow me to play this game on Windows 7 without a problem. The compatibility mode doesn't work. Trust me, I've tried. I already have my computer setup to play on my TV through s-video and audio cables. I use that mainly for watching online videos.
  08-29-2012, 02:12 PM

It was likely done with a virtual machine and screen capturing.
What's the game?
  08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Verified Member

How do you do a virtual machine? What's a good screen capturing program?

The game is Piper starring Jason David Frank from Power Rangers. I also want to play Star Trek Borg and maybe Star Trek Klingon. I already have them except for Star Trek Klingon. I know that Piper is technically a kids game but JDF is my favorite Power Ranger and I want to play that game because of him. I want to play Star Trek Borg because I love Star Trek and the Borg are my favorite Star Trek villain. I've heard that Star Trek Klingon is supposed to be good too, so I might check that out. There are already walkthroughs on YouTube of the Star Trek games and I want to make one of Piper. I also just want to play the game regardless.
  09-03-2012, 03:41 AM

If you're able to sent me a copy (online preferably, not by mail), I can see if they'll work in a VM. Do you have these as ISO ... or something else? If It works, I can tell you what had to be done to repeat it on your end. Dropbox would be ideal.

Also let me know the specs of your computer (CPU, RAM, OS version).
  09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Verified Member

I was looking this up online and it seems like I need a copy of Wondows 95 to use Virtual Machine for that OS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/56158/begin...ng-virtual-pc/

I've been researching screen capturing programs on download.com and the number one program listed in that category is HyperCam but I can't get the latest version to install.
  09-03-2012, 01:13 PM

That's not what I would do.

I'd start out by trying to run the program in Windows XP, using compatibility modes if necessary. Almost anything that runs in 95 will run in XP. At worst, I'd look at 98SE or ME, not 95.

And then there are better screen capturing programs. But I'd need to see what may be compliant either in a VM, or in a host that still records an active VM. I've not tried that to date, but that's not to say it can't be done. I have several, including some low-cost (under $50) commercial ones that I use for creating tutorials.
  09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Verified Member

I've tried playing this game on 98SE before and it didn't work very well. The game started but crashed after a couple minutes.
  09-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Verified Member

I got the Windows 95 computer to turn on. Turns out that the power switch was plugged in the wrong place. Now the problem is that the computer won't detect the hard drive. Everything is connected correctly. I think the hard drive might be dead and I don't have another one.

How do I get virtual machine to play my game?