Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
So what is everyone returning to, or looking forward to.

I was impressed by Touch last year, which starts next week.

I saw the preview of the new Revolution series, which looks VERY good- a little ..overdone theme as of late, but Jerichoish enough to pull me in.

Of course I am loyal to Modern Family, community and many others, but i have to say they have some unique and unusual shows starting...

Going to try these for sure

666 Park Avenue (ABC)
Premieres: Sunday, Sept. 30 at 10/9c
Combine the eeriness of Lost with the ruthlessness of Desperate Housewives and you get this adaptation of Gabrielle Pierce's book series. A melting pot of ABC alums, the supernatural drama stars Dave Annable (Brothers & Sisters) and Rachael Taylor (Charlie's Angels) as an innocent Midwestern couple who get hired as resident managers of The Drake, a tony Upper East Side apartment building owned by Lost's Terry O'Quinn and his wife, Housewives's Vanessa Williams. The catch: The residents have all made deals with The Devil to have their deepest desires fulfilled.

Animal Practice (NBC)
Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 8/7c
Justin Kirk headlines this comedy about an irascible House-like veterinarian who prefers the company of the four-legged creatures over their two-legged owners. Kirk may get top billing, but the true star of the show — and let's face it, the whole fall season — is Crystal the Monkey (The Hangover: Part II, Community), who plays Dr. Rizzo. Mark our words: It will be the best TV monkey performance since Marcel's arc on Friends.

Last Resort (ABC)
Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8/7c
What do you get when you cross Crimson Tide with The Rock? This Shawn Ryan thriller starring Andre Braugher as the leader of a renegade submarine crew that goes on the run after defying an order to fire nuclear missiles. They find sanctuary at a NATO base where they declare themselves the world's smallest nuclear nation. (Yeah, just go with it.) Scott Speedman, Autumn Reeser, Daisy Betts and Robert Patrick co-star.

How about you all?
  09-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 47 posts since Aug 2010
I stick strictly with the classics Savage. I wish there was something new that caught my eye, but there hasn't been anything new that that I've watched since I'd say 2007-2008 when October Road was on.
  09-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Verified Member

I got into that pattern for about 4 years, then when I was pregnant..was so desperate for anything to watch, while we were moving - everything was packed. Tried American Horror Story, Mad Men, Touch and a few others and so very glad I did. I have a 3 try policy. I give it 3 episodes to capture me- and let it go until 3 in a row are bad..which is why I dropped so many over the years..but even the old shows, were new once..gotta give some a chance to beocme classics later on
  09-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Stats: 65 posts since Feb 2010
SOA returns to the FX channel next tuesday 9/11, going into season 5. Check your local listings for airtimes.
  09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Go On (NBC) with Matthew Perry looks to be good. They had an early sneak peak of the pilot back in August, and I liked it. I was sad to see Mr. Sunshine cancelled last year, so seeing him get a second chance at something new right away is nice.

Animal Practice (NBC) had a preview, too, and I thought it was worth watching for at least a few more episodes to feel it out.

Elementary (CBS) will be something I check out. Another modern twist of Sherlock Holmes.

Revolution (NBC) will be something I check out. As far as I can tell, this looks to be a "what if Jericho had continued" sort of plot. It could easily fail and be cliche crap, but I'll give it a chance.

For the most part, I'll be tuning in to returning favorites:
- Doctor Who (for 6 weeks)
- CSI
- Big Bang Theory
- The Good Wife
- Mentalist
- How I Met Your Mother
- Modern Family
- NCIS and NCIS:LA
- New Girl
- Supernatural
- The Closer Major Crimes (same show, as far as I'm concerned)

TV Guide put together a good fall preview: http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/

I may start to watch Hawaii Five-0 at some point. I have both S1 and S2 already, and only watched a few episodes. It may be part of my normal routine, and I'd pick up with S3, and the go back to watch S1-S2 later. I often pick up shows mid-way through, and then go back to see earlier episodes later.

This year, I'll likely be delving into my DVD collection more than ever, because so many weekly favorites were ended or cancelled last year, and nothing has really taken its place. I'm looking forward to the entire run of All In The Family and Cheers for the fall, having just finished Night Court and Frasier over the summer. By the winter, I'd like to start Lois & Clark and The Simpsons. (Note that I watch TV while I work, I'm not a couch potato.)
  09-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
I'm scared to watch any new shows. It seems like every time I start watching a series (The Event, Alcatraz, Terra Nova and Missing), it gets cancelled after 1 season. They should make shows so that it ends or comes to a conclusion in one season like most anime do. That way we don't feel ripped off if it gets cancelled.
  09-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Verified Member

David I know how you feel!!! OMG that is funny...I was a Titus fan, Surface, Threshold..the list goes on..jericho, which got cancelled brought back and CANCELLED again lol!!!

I like the conclusionary end at each season, just in case....American Horror Story did that---I don't know if they doubted their ratings or fate, but I noticed they tied it all up at the end ...

I wonder sometimes with netflix, waiting, trading- if the ratings aren't 100% fair anymore. Given I wait until the end of a season and trade for it, or sometimes download it- in a complete form, instead of doing the week to week...

I aim to watch some of the ending shows...I know this is fringe's last - so I caught up on 4 during the summer...as i expect an explosive last season from them- with JJ Abrahms doing new show - I feel he will be torn concentration wise anyhow...

How I met your mother is excellent, with the theme of the show I can't believe they kept it going so far--but I really enjoy the show- and I am thinking about checking out Grimm, now that it got a second season- gives me some faith is it more decent then just a Buffy the Vampire Slayer redone theme..
  09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
That's one reason I pick up shows late. I already mentioned Hawaii Five-0 (picking up with S3), but I've been doing the same with Warehouse 13 (picking up with S4) this summer. Well, that and because it was lower down on my list. With my favorites cancelled, these get bumped up.

The biggest problem is when they start to play roulette with the show's time slot. That's the big reason shows like Harry's Law and Chaos got cancelled last year. I would imagine that'll happen again to many of these shows. We should start a dead pool bet on this site. It would be nice for everybody to pay in like $2, and then the winner gets a DVD set with the winnings.
  09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Verified Member

I agree, I would chip in for a dead pool lol..although mostly towards the crime shows....it seems overkill- HA!~

I think the timeslot roulette is dangerous and loses a lot of watchers, but I really think they pull stuff too soon.

Warehouse 13, Loved the first season got lost/uninterested in the second.
However this last summer, watched all of season 3 in 3 days, and caught up and really like where it is heading.
it reminds me gently of the Friday the 13th series- with the objects- but the new character developments are good- as is the step away from the predictableness they were entering in season 2 with the love triangle crap.

I will be curious about Community this season, it has a new? producer/director..can't recall which--that is usually not so good for shows. We as watchers get used to a certain style and influence, new ---doesn't always take care of that.

I am shocked some shows are still going-
Castle, Bones, CSI - how much crime do we need?

I am really looking forward to American Horror Story- as they are continuing the show, but not the previous story- they wrapped up on -season 1- brilliant. Long engaged plots tend to tire viewers....they made it more like a long movie- than a show- and it had twists and turns that really shocked me.
  09-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 15 posts since Nov 2009
I watched all 5 of the network Fall Preview shows. The only new show that interested me was Nashville.