Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Woo-hoo!

This is something I've wanted to do for years now, but the code for it didn't exist. After learning quite a bit of PHP and MySQL querying over the past year, I was able to write what was needed over the weekend.

JMP, manthing and myself will be able to easily manage a calendar now, for all upcoming DVD and Blu-ray releases. And by using the calendar on this site -- as opposed to another site (tvshowsondvd.com, etc) -- you'll be supporting TVPast.

In addition to the homepage, I'd debating whether to put the calendar on other pages -- thread listings, specific high-traffic posts (according to Google Analytics). Your feedback on this specific item is welcomed. Do you have any ideas (or problems with) the calendar and "latest posts" being in places other than the forum homepage?

The calendar will also appear on the not-quite-finished main (non-forum) TVPast.org site, along with a complete list of every TV show, its release status, and stores where you can buy the official releases at the best prices. The master list(s) will be sortable and highly organized. The 7-day calendar will be on every non-forum page in the sidebar. It's also going to be carried over to several other "network" sites (part of The Digital FAQ Network).

JMP and myself also put together an improve "latest topics" code piece that will work better for logged in members, when viewed from the forum. So no more hunting for posts in the members-only forums, because they don't appear on the homepage "latest" list.

Enjoy.
  10-22-2012, 10:09 AM

To add a few more details...

The other new feature is the improved "latest posts/threads" box on the forum homepage, which appears next to the DVD/Blu-ray releases calendar listing. The new box is now attached to usergroups. The earlier version only showed the latest public threads.

- Not logged in, non-verified, or non-member shows the public forums only.
- Logged in as a verified member shows all posts accessible to verified (TVP/CPS) members.
- Logged in as Site Staff also shows all posts from the staff to-do/maintenance forum (mostly boring stuff, I assure you).

Hopefully this will help with not overlooking threads/posts.

This was another item that both JMP and myself wrote this past week.
  10-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
thanks to you and JMP....i like it--not sure how cluttered it might look (new releases) if there are a ton...but, I do like the ability to see and click right away. thanks guys
  10-23-2012, 03:32 AM

It's rare for there to be more than 20-25 new releases on any given week.
For example, next week (10/30) is only about 10 titles.

If it ever gets out of hand, there are ways to break it in half, showing only the most popular titles, with a continuation link to see the full calendar. Hopefully it won't ever come to that, but it's certainly possible. The beauty of the new code is that pretty much anything I want to do can now be done, since it's "from scratch" and not a pre-built mod or plugin.