Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I am not a big political person, meaning I don't follow all the news, I try to read up, educate myself- via various sources, not personal friends or feelings.
However, this time of year politically, let's face it ou can't get away from it..
however, I DO mind, that I got a house phone/landline this year, for the first time 2 weeks ago- and have been contacted about 20 times in the last 5 days with surveys political calls, campaign quests and so forth.
I am on the Do not call list, registered the day i got the phone but you have to be on it over SIXTY days to complain. And you can only complain per number, so when a campaign has 20 numbers, and call you from various, you have to file individual complaints. Problem 1-
however, even aside from that, I got a call last night at 959 pm. Now in our house, we have a pregnant woman and an 11 month baby, the LAST thing I want is calls at ten pm..however for most people getting up early or school children, it would be just as rude.

end rant.
  10-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
When the negotiated the do not call list they added political phone calls and charity organizations as exempt status. With the determination by the supreme court that pac funds could spend unlimited corporate funds it increased the amount of non specific candidate political phone calls.

Illinois isn't considered a swing state as much as a place like Ohio that a large amount of the money is being spent in that and the other 'swing' states. Where I agree completely with what your saying, I feel even more sympathy for those living in Ohio and other states that are getting bombarded by phone calls and presidential adds etc. November can't come fast enough for this silliness to end.
  10-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Terrific...ugh. And so they can just call at ten pm?
  10-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 14 posts since Apr 2012
it depends on the state. Last time I remember it's 9pm in the state that you are in. Which is why the automated callers are set up to only give the numbers that are within that time frame. But there are so many holes in the rules for political telemarketers that they pretty much could call you at 5 in the morning and get away with it.