Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 295 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to rockettj1225
Does any one know how I can get Telemarketers to stop calling me. They are bothering all the time and it's really starting to get old
  11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Do not call registry helped me https://www.donotcall.gov/
  11-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 22 posts since Dec 2009
If you are refering to Rachel from Card Holders Services, those calls originate form outside the US and cannot be blocked. I heard on the news a few weeks ago that the US Government was even offering a $50,000 reward to anyone figured out a way to do so.
-Bill
  11-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Verified Member

wow.... ironically just saw this http://consumerist.com/2012/11/01/ft...lder-services/

Quote:
For several years, American consumers have been receiving unwanted robocalls with a recorded message from “Rachel” or one of her fictional co-workers at the vaguely named “Cardholder Services.” Not only are these calls often in violation of do-not-call regulations, they are also a scam to trick people our of their cash. Today, the Federal Trade Commission announced it had pulled the plug on five companies behind these scammy robocalls.

“At the FTC, Rachel from Cardholder Services is public enemy number one,” said FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz about today’s actions, which also involved state agencies in Arizona, Arkansas, and Florida.

The prerecorded calls, if you don’t hang up on them, claim to have an “important message” abouta a way for consumers to lower their credit card interest rates. Pressing “1″ gets you to a live telemarketer who talks you through the program, which included allegedly deceptive offers to have their credit card interest rates substantially reduced, sometimes to as low as 6.9% or even 0%. Some telemarketers allegedly told consumers they could save at least $2,500 in finance charges and will be able to pay off their balances two to three times faster, without increasing their monthly payments.

More from the FTC:

Quote:
In some cases… the telemarketers claim to be calling from the consumer’s credit card company. In other cases, they use “Cardholder Services” to suggest a relationship with a bank or credit card company. If the consumer expresses an interest in the rate reduction offer, the telemarketer sometimes conducts a purported “audit” to determine whether the consumer qualifies. Consumers provide their financial and personal information, and are then put on hold while the “audit” is completed. According to the FTC, the “audit” typically is used only to determine whether consumers have enough credit available on their credit cards to pay the company’s fee.
Once “approved” for the program, the customer is then told about the up-front fee, ranging from several hundred dollars to nearly $3,000. The telemarketers would say that the large fee would be more than offset by the money the saved through the program.

Some consumers said their credit cards were charged the fee even though they did not agree to it. Others say they were charged a fee without even being told there would be any up-front cost.

As is the case with these scams, once the fee is paid, the company does little or nothing to actually reduce the customer’s interest rates.

“The only thing that some companies do,” writes the FTC, “is to initiate three-way calls with consumers’ credit card issuers and orally request a rate reduction, a request that consumers could make on their own and that invariably is denied.”

Pressing “2″ supposedly removes your number from future calls, but in reality does no such thing.

Furthermore, consumers could not proactively block these calls as the callers would use spoofed phone numbers to trick caller ID. This also made it harder for consumers to complain about these calls, as the number showing up on their phone was often unrelated to the actual caller.

The FTC and state authorities filed charges against five companies — Treasure Your Success; Ambrosia Web Design; A+ Financial Center, LLC; The Green Savers; Key One Solutions, LLC. — located in Arizona and Florida.

All five companies are charged with making misrepresentations to consumers in violation of the FTC Act, along with multiple violations of the Telemarketing Sales Rule for misrepresenting their services, making illegal robocalls, calling numbers on the Do Not Call Registry, and collecting up-front fees.
  11-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Verified Member

*update, as of November 1st, the FTC shut down 5 of them..robo callers I mean.

http://ftc.gov/opa/2012/11/robocalls.shtm
  11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The one that annoys me the most are the calls from Oregon (503 area code, usually) for cruises. Those go to cell phones at all times of day and night. Those are run from international calling services, so there's no telling where it originates.

Pacific Telecom (PTC) is to blame on this one:
http://telemarketerspam.wordpress.co...telemarketing/
http://800notes.com/forum/ta-5b17b17...ications-group
http://telemarketerspam.wordpress.co...telemarketing/

The Oregon Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has already suspended their license to operate in the state.
Complaints to the FTC and the Washington PUC are now suggested.

Most of the scams come from Belize, using the Pacific Telecom switches, and run by associates of PTC. The links above expose all the connections between the scammers and the telephone operators, though several shell companies.
  11-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Verified Member

Saw this--- anyone try this app for unwanted calls to a cell http://www.pcworld.com/article/24366...ile_phone.html
  11-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Stats: 2 posts since Nov 2012
Oh my God! When are these nuisance callers gonna stop??? They're frustrating!

Well, that was how I react before I discovered their weakness. Be aware that to these callers, TIME IS GOLD. They try to talk into buying but really, they're also conscious of the time they spend on you. If you try put up with them and waste their time but not buy anything at all, I bet you'd never hear from them again. That's what I noticed when I started playing along. Anyway, I didn't have to put up with them all the time. It only takes one or two calls and they give up. Bummer!
  11-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Stats: 2 posts since Nov 2012
And http://www.callercenter.com/articles...marketers.html is where I get the tips to annoy telemarketers and I tell you, they work!
The only problem is, I never get to enjoy annoying nuisance callers for long.

After one call, they never seem to like to call back.
The following users thank yvonne for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-07-2012)